1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral test correction

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Took a test today, one question I am not sure I got right.

[itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} te^{-at}dt[/itex], when a>0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I set let infinity be b, then took the limit as b went to infinity of the integral with new bounds from 0 to b. My solution claimed that it converges to 1/a^2. Is this correct or should I expect to miss that question?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

List your steps and we can tell you if you made a mistake.

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Ok, I'll take that as an "it's incorrect".

I'll redo the problem now and post it here in a little while.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

I'm not saying that. The onus is on you to show your work so we can see what you did and if your method/answer is correct.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  6. Oct 18, 2011 #5
    It's no problem. I just got home so I will redo it, I made sure to memorize the question after I turned it in because it was giving me a hard time with it's recursive limit.

2dtty77.jpg

I keep on L'hopitaling, and it keeps on repeating! Finally I somehow worked it out to tend towards zero, so the solution was that it converges to [itex]\frac{1}{a^{2}}[/itex]. Unless I made another mistake that is, and provided, that limit actually does tend to zero. I think my logic was that numerator went to zero, and the denominator went to zero, so really it didn't matter if it was a type o/o indeterminate, I believe that it what I was thinking anyway.

Here is the limit that I don't know how to solve.
    [tex]lim_{b \to \infty} \frac{be^{-ab}}{-a}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. Oct 18, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only part you need to care about is limit b->inf b*exp(-ab). Take the log. So you've got log(b)-ab. Factor it into b*(log(b)/b-a). Use l'Hopital to show limit log(b)/b goes to zero. So you are left with b*(-a) since a>0. Now goes to -infinity, yes? If log goes to -infinity then b*exp(-ab) goes to zero. Still ok?

8. Oct 18, 2011 #7
    But it's [itex]lim_{b \to \infty}be^{-ab}[/itex] ?

9. Oct 18, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean exp(-ab) to be e^(-ab). Not sure what the question is? Sorry about the failure to correctly TeX things up.

10. Oct 18, 2011 #9
    I read that as [itex]b^{-ab}[/itex], I didn't know that pxp(m) means p^m, sorry.

I don't understand what you mean when you say to take the log? It looks like you just take the log of the numerator?

11. Oct 19, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was just writing exp(x) instead of e^x. Don't worry if you haven't seen it before. Yes, you can just work with the numerator. The denominator is just a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook