1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral test of convergence

Tags:
  1. Jan 6, 2017 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    I am trying to show that the following integral is convergent
    $$ \int^{\infty}_{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3-1}} \ dx $$

The attempt
    ## x^3 - 1 \approx x^3 ## for ##x \rightarrow \infty##.

Since ## x^3 -1 < x^3 ## there is this relation:
    ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3-1}} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3}}## (the denominator is smaller for function with ## x^3-1 ## and hence bigger quotient).

I know since earlier that the integral ## \int^{\infty}_{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3}} \ dx ## is convergent. But the problem is that function ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3}}## is smaller than the other one and therefore always "below" that other function. The other functions integral can diverge and ## \int^{\infty}_{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3}} \ dx ## will still be convergent like nothin' happened.

Please help me to solve this mystery.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you find an integral that is always "above" that other function?

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3

Rectifier

Gold Member

Will ##\int^{\infty}_{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3}} + 1## do the job? Smells fishy though.

5. Jan 6, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##x > 1## we have ##\sqrt{x^3-1} = x^{3/2} \sqrt{1-x^{-3}}##. Try to find a nice constant lower bound on ##\sqrt{1-x^{-3}}## that is good for ##x \geq 2## (or, at least, for large positive ##x##).

6. Jan 6, 2017 #5

fresh_42

I don't know. I hope the ##1## isn't meant to be part of the integrand. How about ##x^{-\frac{5}{4}}##?

7. Jan 6, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use a change of variable x = a+1 and (after a little manipulation) compare the integral to the integral of 1/(a3/2)

8. Jan 6, 2017 #7

Rectifier

Gold Member

On which integral?

9. Jan 6, 2017 #8

Rectifier

Gold Member

Why do I need to find a constant lower bound? Isn't the bound x=2 already?

10. Jan 6, 2017 #9

Rectifier

Gold Member

That one is convergent too but I have to show that it is always above the original function.

In other words:

I must show that
    ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3-1}}< \frac{1}{x^{\frac{5}{4}}} ## for all x:es

Any suggestions on how I can do that?

11. Jan 6, 2017 #10

fresh_42

Do some algebra. Remove the quotients, the square roots and so on.

12. Jan 6, 2017 #11

Rectifier

Gold Member

I solved it another way by showing that the quotient of the first function and the second is not infinite for ## x \rightarrow \infty ##. If you have any alternative solution strategies please share them here.

13. Jan 6, 2017 #12

fresh_42

I did (##x>0## ) : ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3-1}}<\frac{1}{x^\frac{5}{4}} \Longleftrightarrow x^\frac{5}{4}<\sqrt{x^3-1} \Longleftrightarrow x^\frac{5}{2}<x^\frac{6}{2}-1 \Longleftrightarrow x^6 > x^5 + 2x^3 - 1## which is true for ##x\geq 2## .

14. Jan 6, 2017 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are other ways of doing your problem, but finding a positive constant ##c## such that ##\sqrt{1-x^{-3}} > c## for large ##x>0## is certainly one way to do it. Your previously-expressed worries about ##1/\sqrt{x^3}## not being an upper bound on ##1/\sqrt{x^3-1}## would then go away.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted