1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral to sum

1. May 12, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that

[tex]\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\lambda^{k}u^{k-1}e^{-\lambda u}}{(k-1)!}\ du[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{j=k}^{\infty}\frac{(\lambda\cdot t)^{j}e^{-\lambda t}}{j!}[/tex]

Hint: Use a taylor series to express e^(-lambda*u)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the taylor series to rewrite the e^ term and then I interchanges the integral sign with the summation and integrated the term which leaves me with

[tex]\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{(\lambda\cdot t)^{j}}{j!}\cdot\frac{(\lambda\cdot t)^{k}}{(k+j)(k-1)!}\right][/tex]

However, I have no idea how to rewrite the left-erm to e^{-\lambda t} especially since we don't sum over k (I suspect it has something to do with shifting the index to j=k but I don't really know how that can be done without creating a second summation)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2
    The Taylor series of [itex]e^{-\lambda u}[/itex] will be an alternating series. Your result is not an alternating series.

But in any case, I suspect there may be a typo in the answer. You can shift the index by setting i = j + k and change the summand to work with i.
  4. May 12, 2008 #3

yeah you are right the (-1)^n is definitely missing.

Nevertheless, I tried your method of index shifting and I could even simplify the expression to some degree; however, I'm still not able to get a e^... in the answert. To get that I would need a taylor series or some expoential function I could rewrite in terms of e^... but how to do that is a complete mystery to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?