Laplace Transform of Cosine and Hyperbolic Cosine

In summary, the question is asking for the Laplace transform of cos(at)cosh(at), and the given solution is (s^3)/(s^4 + 4a^4). The first attempt used the first shift property and the second attempt used Euler's rule, but there may be a mistake in the application of Euler's rule.
chickens

Homework Statement

L[cos(at)cosh(at)] = ?

Homework Equations

L[cos(at)] = s/(s^2 + w^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to get the solution given that is (s^3)/(s^4 + 4a^4)

The question requested to use first shift property. So I used cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

but now I'm trying to use another method.

if you use euler's rule, you can also get cos(at) = cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

then simply multiply them and get L[e^2at + 2 + e^(-2at)] but I don't seem to get the same solution as above, any ideas? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
chickens said:

Homework Statement

L[cos(at)cosh(at)] = ?

Homework Equations

L[cos(at)] = s/(s^2 + w^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to get the solution given that is (s^3)/(s^4 + 4a^4)

The question requested to use first shift property. So I used cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

but now I'm trying to use another method.

if you use euler's rule, you can also get cos(at) = cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]
No, Euler's rule does NOT say cos(at)= cosh(at)!
You may be thinking of
[tex]cos(at)= \frac{e^{iat}+ e^{-iat}}{2}[/tex]
Note the "i" s in that!

then simply multiply them and get L[e^2at + 2 + e^(-2at)] but I don't seem to get the same solution as above, any ideas? :frown:

1. What is the concept of an integral transform?

The concept of an integral transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function or equation from one domain to another. This allows for easier analysis and problem-solving in different contexts.

2. What types of integral transforms are commonly used?

Some of the most commonly used integral transforms include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and Z-transform. These transforms have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

3. How is an integral transform problem solved?

To solve an integral transform problem, the given function or equation is transformed into the desired domain using a specific integral transform. Then, the inverse transform is applied to obtain the solution in the original domain.

4. What are the advantages of using integral transforms?

Integral transforms have several advantages, including simplifying complex problems, allowing for easier analysis and visualization, and providing a more efficient method of solving differential equations.

5. In what areas of science are integral transforms commonly used?

Integral transforms have a wide range of applications in science, including physics, engineering, mathematics, and signal processing. They are also used in various fields of research, such as image processing, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.