What is the inverse of the integral transform in complex analysis?

In summary, the inverse of the integral transform is the complex integral over the line Re(s)=c of g(s)x^sds/s, which is undefined for many real s. Latex is very difficult form to understand, and if it were simpler, I would learn it. However, if you're interested, there are many online resources to learn from.
eljose
Let be the integral transform Int(0,8=infinity)f(x)x^(-s-1)=g(s) what would be its inverse? i bet it would be the complex integral over the line Re(s)=c of
g(s)x^sds/s but i am not really sure..can somebody help me or give me a hint?..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
Let be the integral transform Int(0,8=infinity)f(x)x^(-s-1)=g(s) what would be its inverse? i bet it would be the complex integral over the line Re(s)=c of
g(s)x^sds/s but i am not really sure..can somebody help me or give me a hint?..thanks.

I don't understand your syntax. Is this your transform?

[tex]I\{f(x)\}=\int_0^\infty f(x)x^{-(s+1)}dx=g(s)[/tex]

Perhaps you'll heed my advice to learn some LaTeX now, eljose. I'm not being picky for the sake of being picky. There is even a thread in the physics forum about it and many on-line resources to learn from.

But, here, let f(x)=1

[tex]g(s) = \int_0^{\infty} x^{-(s+1)}dx[/tex]

which isn't defined for many real s.

Actually, let f(x) be any polynomial in x and you don't get many real s for which it is defined.

Last edited:
Latex is very difficult forme to understand...if it were simpler i would learn it,in fact in Mathworld it appears the integral Int(1,8=Infinity)J(x)x^-s-1=LnR(s)/s where R(s) is the Riemman Zeta function,they solved it via the inverse transform
J(x)=Int(2-i8,2+i8)(x^s)LnR(s)/s you can check it at

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannPrimeCountingFunction.html

Yes saltydog this is just the integral transform i was using,know i would like to know if inverse exists

This is just the Mellin transform with -s instead of the usual s. You should be able to find references on this just about anywhere, it's pretty standard stuff.

I've suggested it before too, learn some LaTeX already. It's really not difficult to learn basics if you've got some examples to work with, and on this board there are plenty. If you click on the integrals in this post it gives the code used to generate them, it's then rather simple to modify them.

Seems to be this:

[tex]M\{f(x)\}=\int_1^\infty f(x)x^{-(s+1)}dx=F(s)[/tex]

And the inverse transform is:

[tex]M^{-1}\{F(s)\}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{c+i\infty}^{c-i\infty} x^sF(s)ds=f(x)[/tex]

By the residue theorem:

[tex]f(x)=\sum_{i=1}^k Res\{x^{s_i}F(s_i)\}[/tex]

Where [itex]s_i[/itex] is a pole and k is the total number of poles. Can someone verify this please?

saltydog said:
Seems to be this:

[tex]M\{f(x)\}=\int_1^\infty f(x)x^{-(s+1)}dx=F(s)[/tex]

And the inverse transform is:

[tex]M^{-1}\{F(s)\}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{c+i\infty}^{c-i\infty} x^sF(s)ds=f(x)[/tex]

By the residue theorem:

[tex]f(x)=\sum_{i=1}^k Res\{x^{s_i}F(s_i)\}[/tex]

Where [itex]s_i[/itex] is a pole and k is the total number of poles. Can someone verify this please?

Alright, I used the following transform pair:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]F(s)=\frac{1}{2+s}[/tex]

Seems to work according to the transform pair if I'm doing the complex contour correctly. Can anyone check. It's ok if you guys are busy with work and school. I have time and just having fun. You know, there's some very interesting questions presented here.

The integral in the Mellin transform runs from 0 to infinity, so you'll run into convergence issues with your choice of f(x). See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MellinTransform.html

Note that the example involving the Zeta function has this J(x) function, which is zero if x<2, so there's no harm in changing the lower limit to 1.

Be careful in how you evaluate the complex integral using residues. Which residues are you including? When you apply the residue theorem to a bounded countour (say the rectangle c+iT,d+iT,d-iT, and c-iT) and let that contour wander off to infinity (say T->infinity and d->+ or - infinity), you have to be sure that the parts of the contour you aren't interested in don't contribute (or if they do, you need to evaluate or at least bound this contribution somehow). Keep in mind that sometimes the integral involved in the inverse transform is only conditionally convergent, and by the infinite endpoints we mean the Cauchy Principle value.

shmoe said:
The integral in the Mellin transform runs from 0 to infinity, so you'll run into convergence issues with your choice of f(x). See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MellinTransform.html

Note that the example involving the Zeta function has this J(x) function, which is zero if x<2, so there's no harm in changing the lower limit to 1.

Be careful in how you evaluate the complex integral using residues. Which residues are you including? When you apply the residue theorem to a bounded countour (say the rectangle c+iT,d+iT,d-iT, and c-iT) and let that contour wander off to infinity (say T->infinity and d->+ or - infinity), you have to be sure that the parts of the contour you aren't interested in don't contribute (or if they do, you need to evaluate or at least bound this contribution somehow). Keep in mind that sometimes the integral involved in the inverse transform is only conditionally convergent, and by the infinite endpoints we mean the Cauchy Principle value.

Thanks. I'll regroup.
Salty

saltydog said:
Thanks. I'll regroup.
Salty

Jesus. Even relatively simple Mellin transforms turn out to be tough to evaluate . . . the more I know, the less I know I know. . .
Might spend some time with it though.

Salty

What is an integral transform?

An integral transform is a mathematical operation that changes a function from one representation to another. It involves integrating the function with respect to a certain variable, which results in a new function that describes the original function in a different way.

What is the purpose of using an integral transform?

The main purpose of using an integral transform is to simplify mathematical problems and make them easier to solve. It can also help in analyzing and understanding the behavior of a function in different domains.

What are some common types of integral transforms?

Some common types of integral transforms include the Fourier transform, Laplace transform, and the Z-transform. These transforms are widely used in various fields of science and engineering to study and solve problems involving differential equations and signals.

What are the applications of integral transforms?

Integral transforms have numerous applications in various fields including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.

What are the limitations of using integral transforms?

Although integral transforms are a powerful tool in mathematics and science, they have some limitations. Some functions may not have a valid integral transform, and the inverse transform may not exist for all functions. Additionally, the computation of integral transforms can be complex and time-consuming for certain functions.