1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Trouble

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1
    While doing some quantum mechanics homework I came accross 3 integrals that are giving me trouble.

1) dx/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

2) (x^2 dx)/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

3) (sinkx)^2/x^2 from 0 to infinity

I would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. #3 resembles the Dirichlet Integral (if we drop off the squares) and then it would be pi/2. All k's and a's are just constants.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    For the first one, try [itex]x=a\tan{\theta}[/itex]. That will be really messy though, there must be a better way...
  4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

For (2) use "integration by parts"
    [tex]\int_a^b u \ dv=uv|_a^b-\int_a^b v \ du[/tex]
    chose u=x dv=x/(x^2+a^2)^2
    for (1) note
    for (1) and (2) I assume a>0
    for (3)
    differentiate w/ respect k to obtain a Dirichlet Integral
    note (3)=0 if k=0 then integrate w/respect k to find (3)
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  5. Sep 6, 2005 #4
    I suggest you try to use some complex analysis. It seemed to work for me, on the first one anyway.
  6. Sep 6, 2005 #5
    I'm curious. How did you do this?
  7. Sep 7, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Residue Theorem
    [tex]\oint_C f(z) \ dz=2\pi i\sum res(f(z))_{z=a}[/tex]
    In words the Integral of a function around a closed contour equals the sum of the residues of the sigularities of the function times 2pi*i. For (1) and (2) the functions themselves with a contour of a large semicircle in the upper half plan works fine. The sine one is a bit tricker use f(z)=1-exp(2kiz) and a contour of semicircle in upperhalf plane with indentation at origin. There is however no need to use the residue theorem as I above noted the easy way to do them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?