Quantum Mechanics Homework Help - Integrals Giving Trouble

• Thread starter jcain6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: For (3) I use the Divergence Theorem and take the derivative of the function at a point z with respect to x then summing over all points within a certain distance of z.
jcain6
While doing some quantum mechanics homework I came across 3 integrals that are giving me trouble.

1) dx/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

2) (x^2 dx)/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

3) (sinkx)^2/x^2 from 0 to infinity

I would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. #3 resembles the Dirichlet Integral (if we drop off the squares) and then it would be pi/2. All k's and a's are just constants.

Thanks,

jcain6

Physics news on Phys.org
jcain6 said:
While doing some quantum mechanics homework I came across 3 integrals that are giving me trouble.

1) dx/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

2) (x^2 dx)/(a^2+x^2)^2 from negative infinity to infinity

3) (sinkx)^2/x^2 from 0 to infinity

I would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. #3 resembles the Dirichlet Integral (if we drop off the squares) and then it would be pi/2. All k's and a's are just constants.

Thanks,

jcain6

For the first one, try [itex]x=a\tan{\theta}[/itex]. That will be really messy though, there must be a better way...

For (2) use "integration by parts"
[tex]\int_a^b u \ dv=uv|_a^b-\int_a^b v \ du[/tex]
chose u=x dv=x/(x^2+a^2)^2
for (1) note
a^2(1)+(2)=pi/a
for (1) and (2) I assume a>0
for (3)
differentiate w/ respect k to obtain a Dirichlet Integral
note (3)=0 if k=0 then integrate w/respect k to find (3)

Last edited:
I suggest you try to use some complex analysis. It seemed to work for me, on the first one anyway.

Spinny said:
I suggest you try to use some complex analysis. It seemed to work for me, on the first one anyway.

I'm curious. How did you do this?

apmcavoy said:
I'm curious. How did you do this?
Residue Theorem
[tex]\oint_C f(z) \ dz=2\pi i\sum res(f(z))_{z=a}[/tex]
In words the Integral of a function around a closed contour equals the sum of the residues of the sigularities of the function times 2pi*i. For (1) and (2) the functions themselves with a contour of a large semicircle in the upper half plan works fine. The sine one is a bit tricker use f(z)=1-exp(2kiz) and a contour of semicircle in upperhalf plane with indentation at origin. There is however no need to use the residue theorem as I above noted the easy way to do them.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. Why is Quantum Mechanics important?

Quantum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of the physical world and has many practical applications, such as in technology and medicine.

3. What are integrals in Quantum Mechanics?

In Quantum Mechanics, integrals are mathematical tools used to solve equations and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes for a particle's position, momentum, and energy.

4. Why do integrals give trouble in Quantum Mechanics homework?

Integrals can give trouble in Quantum Mechanics homework because they require a deep understanding of the underlying concepts and can be complex to solve, especially when dealing with multiple variables and dimensions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integrals in Quantum Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of integrals in Quantum Mechanics, it is important to review the fundamental principles and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to seek help from a tutor or study with classmates to better understand the concepts.