Solving Integral: \int \frac {x+4}{x^2+2x+5}

• Thread starter laker88116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to solve the integral \int \frac {x+4}{x^2+2x+5}, you can split it into two parts - an "ln-part" and an "arctan-part". To do this, first calculate the derivative of the denominator and adjust the numerator accordingly. Then, divide the integral into two parts - one with an x in the numerator and one without. For the part with an x, complete the square in the denominator to get an arctan. For the part without an x, simply take the ln of the denominator. This is a standard method for solving integrals of this type.
laker88116
[tex] \int \frac {x+4}{x^2+2x+5} [/tex]

I have no idea where to start on this. I can't see any substitutions that would work. I tried completing the square. I also tried to split up the fraction. It isn't getting any simpler. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrals of this type can always be split into an "ln-part" and an "arctan-part".

First, calculate the derivative of the denominator and adjust your nominator to get this and split the rest.

[tex]\left( {x^2 + 2x + 5} \right)^\prime = 2x + 2[/tex]

The integral then becomes

[tex]\int {\frac{{x + 4}}{{x^2 + 2x + 5}}} dx = \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{2x + 2 + 6}}{{x^2 + 2x + 5}}} dx = \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{2x + 2}}{{x^2 + 2x + 5}}} dx + 3\int {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 + 2x + 5}}}[/tex]

Now the first integral simply becomes the ln of the denominator, because that's how we 'made' it, it's now of the form f'(x)/f(x).
The second one no longer has an x in the nominator and you can complete a square in the denominator to get an arctan.

I understand that and it makes sense. I just don't get how you determine that's what you do.

Well, this is a standard way for these integrals.
When the degree of the nominator isn't lower that the one of the denominator, you can divide first (euclidean division on the polynomials) to get this case again.

Alright, I think I got this better now. Thanks.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation or total of a function over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to calculate the area under a curve.

2. What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding an antiderivative of the given function. This can be done by using various integration rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. Can this integral be solved by hand?

Yes, this integral can be solved by hand using integration rules and techniques. However, for more complex integrals, it may be easier to use a computer or calculator to find the solution.

4. What is the significance of the constants in the integral solution?

The constants in the integral solution represent the arbitrary constant of integration. This constant is added to the solution because an indefinite integral represents a family of functions, rather than a single function. The value of the constant can be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

5. How can integrals be applied in real-life situations?

Integrals have many applications in real-life situations, such as calculating areas and volumes, determining the displacement or distance traveled by an object, and finding the average value of a function. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.