1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral (using complex analysis)

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to prove that [tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{t^a}{t^b+1}dt=\frac{\pi}{b}\csc\left[\frac{\pi}{b}(a+1)\right][/tex] for -1<Re(a)<Re(b)-1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I integrated [tex]z^a/(z^b+1)[/tex] along a positively oriented keyhole contour C. As I took the outer circle's radius to infinity and the inner circle's radius to 0 I got the correct bounds, -1<Re(a)<Re(b)-1. The branch I'm working with has [tex]0<\arg z<2\pi[/tex]...so I got my total contour integral as

[tex]\oint_{C}\frac{z^a}{z^b+1}dz=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{z^a}{z^b+1}dz-\int_0^{\infty}\frac{(e^{2\pi i}z)^a}{(e^{2\pi i}z)^b+1}dz=[1-e^{2\pi ia}(e^{2\pi ib})^{-(a+1)/b}]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{z^a}{z^b+1}dz.[/tex] I substituted there to get rid of that exponential in the denominator.

Then I figured that [tex]z^b+1[/tex] has order 1 poles (because it can be factored) at [tex]e^{i\pi(2k-1)/b},\;\;k=0,1,2...b-1.[/tex] I calculated the residues at these points as [tex]\frac{1}{b}e^{i\pi a(2k-1)/b}(e^{i\pi(2k-1)/b})^{1-b}.[/tex]

Then I summed the residues from k=0->b-1, multiplied by 2 pi i, equated with the contour integral before, but when I do the algebra it doesn't reduce to a cosecant, though it comes really close. I think I messed up with my branch cut contributions on the contour integral. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted