Solving Integral with e: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter phantomcow2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In Summary, the homework statement is:This is clearly a u substitution problem. My instinct is to let u= {1+e^{2z} } so du = 2e^{2z}dz . But now what? I don't see how this can be substituted into the original integral. I could let u = e^z, but then that leaves e^2z. Clearly du in this case be e^zdz, but that also doesn't substitute in. e^2z = e^z * e^z. Could this be part of the solution? If somebody could provide some hint to get me going, I'd be grateful.I like u=e^z
phantomcow2

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{e^{z}}{1+e^{2z}}[/tex]

This is clearly a u substitution problem. My instinct is to let u = [tex]{1+e^{2z}[/tex]
so du = 2e^[tex]{2z}[/tex]dz :confused:

Now what? I don't see how this can be substituted into the original integral.

I could let u = e^z, but then that leaves e^2z. Clearly du in this case be e^zdz, but that also doesn't substitute in. e^2z = e^z * e^z. Could this be part of the solution? If somebody could provide some hint to get me going, I'd be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like u=e^z better. That turns e^(2z) into u^2. Yes, that is part of the solution.

I agree. Try u=exp(z). du=exp(z) dz. Then you should get a very familiar integral. (The solution will be a trig function)

Okay, so if I use e^z = u and du = e^zdz, I am left with

u/(1+u^2)dz

This is for my calc 2 class. I have no idea how a trig function would tie into this though :(

phantomcow2 said:
Okay, so if I use e^z = u and du = e^zdz, I am left with

u/(1+u^2)dz

This is for my calc 2 class. I have no idea how a trig function would tie into this though :(

[tex]\int \frac{e^z}{1+e^{2z}}dz[/tex]

so yes, with u=ez => du=ez dz

so you will be left with

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+u^2} du[/tex]

NOT

[tex]\int \frac{u}{1+u^2}du[/tex]

can you integrate 1/(1+u2) du?

Ah, you're right.

I took calculus 1 at my college, but I am taking calculus 2 at a different school. If I understand what an integral is, then we are seeking a function whose derivative IS 1/1+x^2. My calc 1 class never covered this, but I am beggining to suspect the calc 1 at this new college did: inverse trig functions. A peek in the back of my textbook indicates that 1/1+x^2 is the derivative of the arctan function. Is that it?

So I'm simply looking at arctan (e^z)?

I appreciate all of your help, by the way. I hope I don't come across as helpless or not wanting to do the work. I've gotten through most of this assignment but may have encountered something I haven't seen before.

phantomcow2 said:
Ah, you're right.

I took calculus 1 at my college, but I am taking calculus 2 at a different school. If I understand what an integral is, then we are seeking a function whose derivative IS 1/1+x^2. My calc 1 class never covered this, but I am beggining to suspect the calc 1 at this new college did: inverse trig functions. A peek in the back of my textbook indicates that 1/1+x^2 is the derivative of the arctan function. Is that it?

So I'm simply looking at arctan (e^z)?

well yes...but arctan(ez)+C (never forget the constant of integration)

rock.freak667 said:
+C (never forget the constant of integration)

Costs me 1 point every time :grumpy:

1. What is the best approach for solving integrals with e?

A common and effective approach is to use substitution. This involves substituting a variable in the integral with e, such as u = e^x. This can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. How do I know when to use integration by parts with e?

Integration by parts is often used when the integral involves a product of functions, such as e^x * sin(x). In these cases, it is helpful to use the product rule from differentiation to determine which function should be integrated and which should be differentiated.

3. What is the purpose of using partial fractions when solving integrals with e?

Partial fractions can be used to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. This technique is especially useful when the denominator of the fraction contains e.

4. Can I use trigonometric identities to solve integrals with e?

Yes, trigonometric identities such as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x) can be used to simplify integrals involving e. These identities can also be helpful when using substitution or integration by parts.

5. Are there any other tips or tricks for solving integrals with e?

It can be helpful to use properties of logarithms when dealing with integrals involving e. Additionally, practicing and becoming familiar with different techniques, such as u-substitution and trigonometric identities, can greatly improve your ability to solve integrals with e.