1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with e

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{e^{z}}{1+e^{2z}}[/tex]

This is clearly a u substitution problem. My instinct is to let u = [tex]{1+e^{2z}[/tex]
    so du = 2e^[tex]{2z}[/tex]dz :confused:

Now what? I don't see how this can be substituted into the original integral.

I could let u = e^z, but then that leaves e^2z. Clearly du in this case be e^zdz, but that also doesn't substitute in. e^2z = e^z * e^z. Could this be part of the solution? If somebody could provide some hint to get me going, I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like u=e^z better. That turns e^(2z) into u^2. Yes, that is part of the solution.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    I agree. Try u=exp(z). du=exp(z) dz. Then you should get a very familiar integral. (The solution will be a trig function)

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4
    Okay, so if I use e^z = u and du = e^zdz, I am left with

u/(1+u^2)dz

This is for my calc 2 class. I have no idea how a trig function would tie into this though :(

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\int \frac{e^z}{1+e^{2z}}dz[/tex]

so yes, with u=ez => du=ez dz

so you will be left with

[tex]\int \frac{1}{1+u^2} du[/tex]

NOT

[tex]\int \frac{u}{1+u^2}du[/tex]

can you integrate 1/(1+u2) du?

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6
    Ah, you're right.

I took calculus 1 at my college, but I am taking calculus 2 at a different school. If I understand what an integral is, then we are seeking a function whose derivative IS 1/1+x^2. My calc 1 class never covered this, but I am beggining to suspect the calc 1 at this new college did: inverse trig functions. A peek in the back of my textbook indicates that 1/1+x^2 is the derivative of the arctan function. Is that it?

So I'm simply looking at arctan (e^z)?

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7
    I appreciate all of your help, by the way. I hope I don't come across as helpless or not wanting to do the work. I've gotten through most of this assignment but may have encountered something I haven't seen before.

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

well yes...but arctan(ez)+C (never forget the constant of integration)

10. Jun 10, 2009 #9
    Costs me 1 point every time :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook