1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with /ln(x)

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    sorry that i do not know the correct english terminology, hope you understand

i need to look into tis integral
    [tex]\int[/tex]dx/ln(x) (from 0 to 1)

and say if it comes to a number or to infinity or what, dont necessarily have to gve the answer as a number, can either comapre it to another simpler function or work out the integral.

if F(x)<G(x) and G(x) collects to an actual number than so will F(x), etc
    again, hope im clear and understood

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clearly the only place you could have a problem with convergence is near x=1. Find something to compare with in a small interval near x=1, think about the tangent line to the curve y=ln(x) there.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    i cannot find such a function of x that is always bigger or always smaller than 1/lnx. could you please show me

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't have to be always bigger or always smaller. It only has to be bigger or smaller where it counts. Can you find f(x) so that 1/|f(x)|<1/|ln(x)| only on the interval [0.9,1] and 1/|f(x)| diverges over that interval? Make f a linear function. What is the tangent to y=ln(x) at x=1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook