Interpreting Variable Limits in an Integral with Greatest Integer Function

In summary, the integral is ∫0x[sinx] where x belongs to (2nπ,2nπ+π) and [] represents the greatest integer function. The attempt at a solution is to interpret the variable limit otherwise it is an easy question. Any insight on how to interpret the limits is appreciated.
aim1732

Homework Statement

Calculate the integral
0x[sinx] where x belongs to (2nπ,2nπ+π) and [] represents the greatest integer function.

[/b] The attempt at a solution[/b]
Basically i am stuck with interpreting the variable limit otherwise it is an easy question. Any insight on how to interpret the limits is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aim1732! :smile:

do you mean ∫0x [sinx] dx ?

that must be wrong …

you can't have x (or any function of x) as a limit of integration if x is the variable of integration (ie if it ends "dx") :redface:

(and anyway, where does the interval (2nπ,2nπ+π) conme into it? :confused:)

While it is not very good notation you will sometimes see
[tex]\int_a^x f(x) dx[/tex]
It is essentially the "anti-derivative" with a specific constant of integration given by the lower limit.

Better notation is to change the 'dummy' index:
[tex]\int_a^x f(t)dt[/tex]

Here that would be
[tex]\int_0^x [sin(t)] dt[/tex]

And now all you need to know is that [itex][sin(t)]= 0[/itex] for [itex]0\le t\le\pi[/itex], [itex][sin(t)]= -1[/itex] for [itex]\pi< t\le 2\pi[/itex] and then alternates values of 0 (for [itex]2n\pi< t\le (2n+1)\pi[/itex] and -1 (for [itex](2n+1)\pi\le t< 2(n+1)\pi[/itex]).

Oh dear me I forgot the element dx. Of course i mean ∫0x [sinx] dx.

It's a confusing expression but I can't help it if books use it.
So in the give interval
(2nπ,2nπ+π)
is the solution zero?

aim1732 said:
Oh dear me I forgot the element dx. Of course i mean ∫0x [sinx] dx.
aim1732 said:
It's a confusing expression but I can't help it if books use it.
So in the give interval
(2nπ,2nπ+π)
is the solution zero?
aim1732 said:
… where x belongs to (2nπ,2nπ+π) and [] represents the greatest integer function.

Basically i am stuck with interpreting the variable limit otherwise it is an easy question. Any insight on how to interpret the limits is appreciated.

Do you mean eg [0.5] =1, [-0.5] = 0 ?

Then in (2nπ,(2n+1)π), [sint] = 1, doesn't it. so that the integral is ∫ 0x dt ?

Do you mean eg [0.5] =1, [-0.5] = 0 ?
I believe it is the ceiling function you are talking about---- slightly different from what i am talking about(the floor function).
Since in the given range of x, [sint] is 0 hence the integration amounts to calculating the area under the curve before the given interval which gives the constant function -nπ--basically the upper limit of integration becomes constant-- but if the interval of x is [(2n+1)π,(2n+2)π] will the integral become a function of x?

so that [0.5] =0, [-0.5] = -1 ?

yes, then it'll be constant at -nπ between (2nπ, (2n+1)π), decreasing steadily to -(n+1)π over the (2n+1)π,(2n+2)π) :smile:

1. What is an integral with variable limit?

An integral with variable limit is a type of mathematical function used to calculate the area under a curve. Unlike a regular integral, the limits of integration are not fixed values, but instead, they can be expressed as variables.

2. How is an integral with variable limit calculated?

To calculate an integral with variable limit, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, you substitute the upper and lower limits of integration with the corresponding variable expressions. Finally, you evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What is the significance of using variable limits in an integral?

Using variable limits in an integral allows for a more flexible and general approach to calculating the area under a curve. It allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated, and it also allows for the integration of functions that cannot be easily evaluated using fixed limits.

4. What are some common applications of integrals with variable limits?

Integrals with variable limits have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a variable force, in economics to calculate total revenue or profit, and in statistics to calculate the expected value of a variable. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrals with variable limits?

While integrals with variable limits offer many advantages, they do have some limitations. They can be more challenging to evaluate than regular integrals, and they may not always have a closed-form solution. Additionally, using too many variables in the limits can make the integral more complex and difficult to solve.