1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral: (x+2)/sqrt (3x-1)

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    [tex]\int[/tex][tex](X + 2)/\sqrt{3X-1}[/tex]

one of my attempts: u=3X-1 , du/3=dX , x = (u+1)/3

1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex](u+7).du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 7/3 [tex]\int[/tex][tex]du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 14/3. sqrt{u} = stuck...

the answer should be 2/27 . (3X + 20) .[tex]\sqrt{3X-1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure I'm a hundred percent following your work, but it seems that you are just making algebra errors.

The substitution you are intending to make is fine.

Then you write:

[tex] \frac{1}{3} \int \frac {(u+7)}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]

as the integral after substitution. But this isn't right; plug u back in here, you'll find that the coefficient at front should be something different. Then you seem to have taken that 7 out as though it were a constant, but you can't do that either. Anyway, you are on the right track with substituting u = 3x - 1. Just carefully redo the algebra.

4. May 21, 2010 #3
    I forgot to multiply with 1/3 from du/3. becomes:

1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex](u+7).du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 7/9 [tex]\int[/tex][tex]du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + [tex]14/3. \int \sqrt{u}[/tex]

but i've found the solution from there.
    btw: if you split the integral you can use 7 as an a constant and put it in front of the intgr sign

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  5. May 21, 2010 #4
    Oh, I see what you did. Yes, the 7 was fine, just the multiplier was off.

6. May 21, 2010 #5
    Integrals of the type:

[tex]
    \int{R(x, \sqrt[n]{a x + b}) \, dx}
    [/tex]

where [itex]R(u, v)[/itex] is a rational function of both of its arguments can always be reduced to integrals of rational functions with the substitution:

[tex]
    t = \sqrt[n]{a x + b}
    [/tex]

7. May 21, 2010 #6
    So you would've used t=sqrt(3X-1) ?

8. May 21, 2010 #7
    Yes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook