What is the integral of (x+2)/sqrt (3x-1)?

• Thread starter polepole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using a substitution to solve an integral. The correct substitution is t = sqrt(3X-1), which reduces the integral to a rational function. The original attempt made algebra errors, but the correct solution is 2/27 . (3X + 20) .\sqrt{3X-1}.
polepole
[tex]\int[/tex][tex](X + 2)/\sqrt{3X-1}[/tex]

one of my attempts: u=3X-1 , du/3=dX , x = (u+1)/3

1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex](u+7).du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 7/3 [tex]\int[/tex][tex]du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/3[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 14/3. sqrt{u} = stuck...

the answer should be 2/27 . (3X + 20) .[tex]\sqrt{3X-1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I'm a hundred percent following your work, but it seems that you are just making algebra errors.

The substitution you are intending to make is fine.

Then you write:

[tex] \frac{1}{3} \int \frac {(u+7)}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]

as the integral after substitution. But this isn't right; plug u back in here, you'll find that the coefficient at front should be something different. Then you seem to have taken that 7 out as though it were a constant, but you can't do that either. Anyway, you are on the right track with substituting u = 3x - 1. Just carefully redo the algebra.

I forgot to multiply with 1/3 from du/3. becomes:

1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex](u+7).du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + 7/9 [tex]\int[/tex][tex]du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] = 1/9[tex]\int[/tex][tex]u .du/\sqrt{u}[/tex] + [tex]14/3. \int \sqrt{u}[/tex]

but I've found the solution from there.
btw: if you split the integral you can use 7 as an a constant and put it in front of the intgr sign

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you did. Yes, the 7 was fine, just the multiplier was off.

Integrals of the type:

[tex]
\int{R(x, \sqrt[n]{a x + b}) \, dx}
[/tex]

where [itex]R(u, v)[/itex] is a rational function of both of its arguments can always be reduced to integrals of rational functions with the substitution:

[tex]
t = \sqrt[n]{a x + b}
[/tex]

So you would've used t=sqrt(3X-1) ?

polepole said:
So you would've used t=sqrt(3X-1) ?

Yes.

1. What is the integral of (x+2)/sqrt(3x-1)?

The integral of (x+2)/sqrt(3x-1) is (2/3)√(3x-1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. Is this integral solvable using basic integration techniques?

Yes, this integral can be solved using the substitution method, where u = 3x-1 and du = 3dx. This will result in the integral becoming ∫(x+2)/√u du, which can be solved using the power rule.

3. What is the domain of this integral?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers except x = 1/3, since the denominator cannot be equal to 0.

4. Can this integral be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, this integral can be solved using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the area under the curve using smaller trapezoids or parabolas.

5. What are some real-world applications of this integral?

This integral can be used in physics to calculate the work done by a variable force, where x represents the displacement and (x+2)/√(3x-1) represents the varying force. It can also be used in economics to calculate the marginal utility of a variable good, where x represents the quantity consumed and (x+2)/√(3x-1) represents the marginal utility function.