1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral (x*e^(-3x)). How the !

1. Jun 10, 2007 #1
    Hello, Forum!

I just registered after seeing you actually help people understand their problems. That's great.

We have (or should have) learned about linearity, substitution and partial integration. However, I don't know when to use which! Could someone also give me a bit of an expanation on this? :(

I have to solve an integral:
    x*e^(-3x) dx

My train of thought: I have almost got 2 'basis integrals': x dx and e^x dx. I probably need to substitute to get them to the basic form. But how!
    As you see I'm pretty clueless, but what I came up with was:
    u = -3x --> u'= -3
    v' = x --> v = (x²)/2
    However, this leads nowhere. I don't know what to do!

According to derive, the solution is supposed to be:
    Code (Text):

1           -3x  ⎛    x            1       ⎞
    ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ - e           ⎜⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ + ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⎟
              2            ⎜ 3·LN(e)              2⎟
     9·LN(e)             ⎝               9·LN(e) ⎠

I sincerely hope someone will be able to show me the light!
    Thanks in advance.

PS: Our teacher is really bad at teaching!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try u = x and v' = e^(-3x)

In integration by parts what you're looking to do is reduce any x factors to a constant and thus you set those equal to u. This reduces the right hand side integral to a single function which should be easy to deal with.

If the x factors are higher powers then apply the integration by parts method until the x reduces to a constant or you can come up with a reduction formula.

The substitution method is a little intuitive because you're looking for something that is a derivative of something else in the function. Just keep practising some substitution questions and you will soon start to spot them fairly easily.

For example:

[tex] \int xe^{x^2} dx [/tex]

You can spot that x is almost the derivative of x2. So we use the following substitution:

[tex] u=x^2 [/tex] therefore [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=2x \Rightarrow xdx=\frac{1}{2}du [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int e^u du = \frac{1}{2} e^{x^2} + c [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. Jun 10, 2007 #3
    The LIATE rule helps you identify which one to use as u.
    Order of priority is:

Logarithms, Inverse Trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?