Unraveling a Strange Integral: Computing \int^\infty_0{x}^{-x}dx

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral and attempts to compute it using the method used for sophomore's dream integrals. However, it is concluded that the integral does not have a closed form solution and can only be approximated. The conversation also mentions the possibility of representing the integral with a power series and the use of the residue theorem. Ultimately, an approximate answer of ~1.995456≈2 is found using a limit and summing method.
gamesguru
I'm just curious to find how what this integral is, but more importantly how it's computed. I've looked at the method that the sophomore's dream integrals are computed with and they do not seem to work here, I get to a step where I'm evaluating a sum from x=0 to x=[tex]\infty[/tex].
Here's the integral, and I've tried it with CAS and it oddly appears to be ~1.995456≈2:
[tex]\int^\infty_0{x}^{-x}dx[/tex]
Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, if you are trying to exactly compute it, i do not think it has a closed form. It can only be approximatet.

sutupidmath said:
well, if you are trying to exactly compute it, i do not think it has a closed form. It can only be approximatet.
I should have said this above, but I'm fairly confident that an answer that can be expressed with purely elementary functions and constants does not exist. However, I'm not yet certain whether or not it can be represented with a power series, just as the sophomore's dream integrals can be.

Well, I found the answer to be the following limit:
[tex]\int^\infty_0{x}^{-x}dx=\lim_{a\rightarrow\infty}a\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-a)^n \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \frac{(\log a)^{n-k}}{(n-k)!(n+1)^{k+1}}\approx 1.99545595\approx2[/tex]
When I plug this in for large [itex]a[/itex] in CAS, I get weird behavior, but for [itex]a[/itex] approximately 5 and summing from [itex]n=0[/itex] to [itex]n\approx 100[/itex] it gives accurate and fairly precise answers.

Did you try the residue theorem ...an indefinte exponential integral on the positive halfline ...

1. What is the purpose of unraveling a strange integral?

The purpose of unraveling a strange integral is to simplify and solve a complex mathematical expression so that it can be better understood and used in various applications. In this case, we are trying to compute the integral of x^-x from 0 to infinity.

2. How is the integral x^-x computed?

The integral x^-x can be computed using various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or using mathematical software. In this particular case, we can use integration by parts to solve the integral.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration (0 to infinity)?

The limits of integration (0 to infinity) represent the range of values for which we are computing the integral. In this case, we are looking at the behavior of the function x^-x as x approaches infinity, which can provide insights into its overall behavior and properties.

4. Why is the integral x^-x considered "strange"?

The integral x^-x is considered "strange" because the function x^-x is not defined at x=0 and it approaches 0 as x approaches infinity. This makes it a challenging integral to compute, and its behavior is not easily predictable.

5. What are the practical applications of computing the integral x^-x?

The integral x^-x has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems related to probability, statistics, and in the study of complex systems. It is also used in the fields of thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.