1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals 3

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate this integral along the line segment from (0,1) to (pi, -1) by parameterising this segment

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int y sin x dx - cos x dy[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

How would I parameterise this line segment?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by writing an equation for the line passing through those two points.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    [itex]y= \frac{-2x}{\pi} +1[/itex]. How do I know whether to let x=t or not?

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bugatti79! :smile:
    you can let t = x, or t = y, or t = any function of x and y so long as it's strictly increasing (or decreasing) along the line :wink:

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may want t = 0 to correspond to x = -1 (the left end of the interval) and t = 1 to correspond to x = 1 (the right end of the interval).

That's a fairly common practice.

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    Very good, thats a good tip. Will keep that in mind.

I dont follow this to be honest. I am not sure what the line is. Is it an arc from (0,1) to (pi, -1)?

Does this mean the integral will evaluate to 0? I think that is only for closed simple curves and we are dealing with an open line hence it will be none 0..right?

What is the significant of whether it was a segment or not?

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem states LINE SEGMENT from (0,1) to (π, -1). That means the portion of the (straight) line passing through the points which is between (0,1) and (π, -1) including the endpoints.

The simplest parametrization is to let x(t) = t, and [itex]\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{-2x(t)}{\pi} +1=\frac{-2t}{\pi} +1\,,[/itex] where t goes from 0 to π.

A parametrization I like is for t to go from 0 to 1. Then x(t) = π t, and [itex]\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{-2\pi t}{\pi} +1=-2t+1\,.[/itex]

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8

Ok. I will work out both. Trying the first I get

[itex] \displaystyle \int y sin x dx - cos x dy = \int (\frac{-2 t}{\pi}+1) sin t dt+ \frac{2}{\pi} cos t dt=0[/itex]......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook