Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integrals 3

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate this integral along the line segment from (0,1) to (pi, -1) by parameterising this segment

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int y sin x dx - cos x dy[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

How would I parameterise this line segment?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by writing an equation for the line passing through those two points.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    [itex]y= \frac{-2x}{\pi} +1[/itex]. How do I know whether to let x=t or not?

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bugatti79! :smile:
    you can let t = x, or t = y, or t = any function of x and y so long as it's strictly increasing (or decreasing) along the line :wink:

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may want t = 0 to correspond to x = -1 (the left end of the interval) and t = 1 to correspond to x = 1 (the right end of the interval).

That's a fairly common practice.

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    Very good, thats a good tip. Will keep that in mind.

I dont follow this to be honest. I am not sure what the line is. Is it an arc from (0,1) to (pi, -1)?

Does this mean the integral will evaluate to 0? I think that is only for closed simple curves and we are dealing with an open line hence it will be none 0..right?

What is the significant of whether it was a segment or not?

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem states LINE SEGMENT from (0,1) to (π, -1). That means the portion of the (straight) line passing through the points which is between (0,1) and (π, -1) including the endpoints.

The simplest parametrization is to let x(t) = t, and [itex]\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{-2x(t)}{\pi} +1=\frac{-2t}{\pi} +1\,,[/itex] where t goes from 0 to π.

A parametrization I like is for t to go from 0 to 1. Then x(t) = π t, and [itex]\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{-2\pi t}{\pi} +1=-2t+1\,.[/itex]

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8

Ok. I will work out both. Trying the first I get

[itex] \displaystyle \int y sin x dx - cos x dy = \int (\frac{-2 t}{\pi}+1) sin t dt+ \frac{2}{\pi} cos t dt=0[/itex]......

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook