1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals and derivatives.

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the attachment: 5aef, 6abc

3. The attempt at a solution
    5a.) I started by dividing the question into two integrals: the integral of 2sin(x) evaluated from 0 to pi/4 minus the integral of 4sec2(x) evaluated from 0 to pi/4. Then the anti-derivative of 2sin(x) is -2cos(x) and the anti-derivative of 4sec2(x) is 4tan(x). I'm not sure if this is correct, though?

5e&f.) I'm not even sure what this is asking. It looks like "the integral of the derivative", which, according to my notes, is f(x)+C, but.... help? I'm not sure.

6abc.) Again, not sure what this is asking. Looks like the derivative of the integral, which is f(x) in my notes. I made an attempt at the first one using the way my friend said to do it, you can see it in the second attachment, but I don't know if it is correct.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2
    Yes, 5e and 5f are asking for the integral of a derivative, and 6 is asking for the derivative of an integral.
  4. Dec 20, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For 5a) what you're thinking is right so keep doing it.

For 5e) or 5f) use that

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} \frac{df}{dx}{}dx= f(b)-f(a) [/tex]

For 6abc) use the Leibniz-Newton formula and the chain rule of differentiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?