1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals: cos(2x)

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Hello :)

I'm not sure how to deal with an integral of the form cos(2x), sin(2x), tan(3x), etc. Its the constant that is throwing me off - I know what the antideriv of cosx, sinx or tanx is. My text doesn't seem to explain what to do with the constant and I can't seem to find the info using a direct internet search so I was wondering if someone would please tell me what to do with the constant?

Help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Substitute u=2x, du=2*dx. Do the u integral and substitute back.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3

Thanks, but we actually haven't covered the sub rule yet so I'm wondering if maybe there is a different way to get the answer?

Updating because I found a similar question in my text...
    The text has a problem showing..

[tex] \int sin( \Pi x)dx = -(1/ \Pi )cos( \Pi x)dx [/tex]

So I take it if f(x) = cos(2x)dx then F(x) = (1/2)sin(2x)... but the chpt explaining the sub rule says something about changing the boundaries of a definate integral when using the sub rule.... Would I have to do anything to the boundaries? (I've been asked to solve using FTC where [tex] \int \stackrel{b}{a} = F(b) - F(a) [/tex] ) --I found that problem in the sub rule section which is why I'm confused about the boundaries--

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  5. Jan 14, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. The integral of sin(2x) is -(1/2)*cos(2x). You can check that just be differentiating -(1/2)*cos(2x) and seeing that you get sin(2x). The antiderivative -(1/2)*cos(2x) is expressed in terms of the original variable x. So the limits are the same as the original limits. You don't have to change them.

6. Jan 15, 2009 #5
    Oh right.. that makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

7. Jan 15, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there's a substitution rule, per se. Substitution is nothing more than applying the chain rule of differentiation to antidifferentiation.
    To expand on what I said above, if g(x) = sin(2x), then g'(x) = 2cos(2x). Looking at things from the opposite direction,
    [tex]\int 2cos(2x) dx = sin(2x) + C[/tex]
    Equivalently,
    [tex]\int cos(2x) dx = 1/2 sin(2x) + C_1[/tex]
    where C1 = C/2.

Here's a slightly more complicated problem:
    [tex]\int xcos(x^2) dx[/tex]

For this problem, I can see that part of the integrand is cos(x^2), so I think of this as being cos(u(x)), where u(x) = x^2. I see also that du/dx = 2x, so it's helpful that the other factor in the integrand is x.

So x*cos(x^2)*dx = 1/2 * du/dx * cos(u) * dx = 1/2 * cos(u)*du

I know that
    [tex]\int cos(u) du = sin(u) + C_1[/tex]
    so

[tex]\int 1/2*cos(u) du = 1/2*sin(u) + C[/tex]

= 1/2*sin(x^2) + C

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?