Integrals: Evaluating ∫ x^{m}* (ln(x))^{2} using Integration by Parts

• Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, to evaluate the integral ∫ x^{m}* (ln(x))^{2}, we can use the integration by parts method with u = (ln(x))^2 and dv = x^m dx. This leads to: ∫ x^m (ln(x))^2 dx = (ln(x))^2 * x^(m+1)/(m+1) - 2/(m+1) ∫ x^m ln(x) dx. Continuing with integration by parts, we get the final solution: (ln(x))^2 * x^(m+1)/(m+1) - 2/(m+1)^2 * x^m - 4/(m+1)^3 * ∫ x^(
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral: ∫ [itex] x^{m}* (ln(x))^{2} [/itex] It's said as ln squared x. Sorry if I miswrote it.

Homework Equations

∫udv= uv - ∫vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

u= (ln(x)^2)
v= x^{m+1}/(m+1)
du= 2lnx/(x)
dv= x^{m} * dx

- ∫2lnx * (x^{m+1})/(x*(m+1)) + [(ln(x)^{2}) (x^{m+1})/(m+1)}
-(x^{m+1})/(m+1) * ∫ 2lnx/(x) + (ln(x)^{2})

I am stuck here. I feel like I'm not doing this right, and I'm sure I'm not. Can I get some guidance as to if I'm even doing this right? Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Up to here, you're okay:
$$\int x^m (\ln x)^2\,dx = (\ln x)^2\frac{x^{m+1}}{m+1} - \frac{2}{m+1} \int x^m\ln x\,dx.$$ Your next step is wrong. You can't pull anything that depends on ##x## out of the integral.

Did you notice you've ended up with essentially the same integral as before except the exponent of the log has gone done by one? This suggests you should try integrating by parts one more time.

What are integrals with extra variables?

Integrals with extra variables refer to integrals that contain additional variables in addition to the variable of integration. These extra variables can be used to represent parameters or constants in the integral.

How do you solve integrals with extra variables?

Solving integrals with extra variables involves using techniques such as substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. The goal is to manipulate the integral in a way that reduces it to a simpler form that can be integrated using known methods.

What is the purpose of adding extra variables to integrals?

Adding extra variables to integrals allows us to represent complex functions in a simpler form that is easier to integrate. It also allows us to evaluate integrals for a range of values for the extra variables, providing a more general solution.

Can integrals with extra variables be solved using software?

Yes, integrals with extra variables can be solved using mathematical software such as Wolfram Alpha or MATLAB. These software programs have built-in algorithms that can handle complex integrals and provide accurate solutions.

How are integrals with extra variables used in real-world applications?

Integrals with extra variables are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and to make predictions and solve problems in these fields.