Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals from Hell

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    Hi, I was just wondering if these integrals could be solved analytically, or if I would just have to resort to approximations.

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{\infty} \sqrt{1 + \omega E^2} E^n ln(1 + \omega E^2) \frac{e^{\phi E}}{(\lambda e^{\phi E} + 1)^2} dE
    [/tex]

For

[tex]
    n = 1, 1/2, 2, 3/2
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

any restrictions on any parameters? For example, is it true that [tex]\omega[/tex] is real and positive? Is [tex]\phi[/tex] real? Any restrictions on [tex]\lambda[/tex]?

4. Dec 31, 2009 #3
    No restrictions. But if you'd like to set some, go for it.

I'd just rather avoid approximation unless they wouldn't perturb the value by much.

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely there must be some restrictions. For example, if [tex] \lambda = 0 [/tex] then the real part of [tex] \phi [/tex] must be negative, otherwise the integral doesn't converge. Are there any special cases that are particularly interesting?

I am playing with it, but don't have my hopes up.

By the way, where did this integral come from? It is unusual to have so many arbitrary parameters (meaning all can be arbitrary complex numbers) in the practical problems I usually run into. jason

6. Dec 31, 2009 #5
    Truth be told, I don't know if there are any restrictions.

A friend asked me for my opinion on these integrals, if there was a way to solve them analytically. Of course, I was stumped, so I figured I'd do him the favor of posting these up in PF.

I'll try to see if I can find some restrictions on them.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook