1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals in Physics

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    Ok This is a Calculus assignment question but more of af physics thing..

First were using integrals so there is the first part.

I understand Intergration and all it jusst how to get a equation to apply it to is the hard part.

a 4 lb bucket is lifted 80 Ft from a bottom of a well full of water.
    the water in bucket weighs 40lb but is leaking out of a hole at a rate of .2 lb/s. It rate of accent is 2 ft/s.

As far as I can tell there will be a constant in the equation since a 4lb bucket will rise 80 ft. so that is constant thye whole time.. but since the water is leaking how do i use that rate of change in with the speed.

Plus I am figure this out in the British system.. Lb/ft not metric newton joules.

so a far as i got i would have 4*80 + (40-.2x)/2

As far as I can figure i would have to use that formula.. but it just doesn't look right or sound right..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

.2 lb/s is the rate at which the water leaks out. During those two seconds, the bucket rises 2 ft/s so the water leaks out at .1 lb/ft. The weight of the water in the bucket after rising x feet is 40- .1x. The "40" is not divided by 2. Now you can do either of two things: argue that the weight of bucket and water, after rising x feet is 4+ 40- .1x= 44- .1x and integrate that as x goes from 0 to 80 or argue that it requires 4*80 ft-lbs of work to raise the 4 pound bucket so integrate 40- .1x to find the work necessary to raise the water and then add 4*80 to that.
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Thanks now that you got it making complete sense I can get this stuff done..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?