1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals involving 'e'

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So, I have to integrate the following expression:
    (e^7x)/(e^(14x) + 9)dx

2. Relevant equations

We are doing the section on 'integrating by u-substitution' right now, so that might help in finding a solution...

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I tried a bunch of stuff - I tried u=7x, u=e^7x, u=14x, u=e^14x, u=x, etc. etc. and I can't get the right answer!!! I have been working on this problem for over an hour and am on the verge of tears!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hint: e14x=(e7x)2

4. Sep 6, 2008 #3
    I know that.. but how do I work from there???
    The problem with "e" is that its derivative is different than integrating something like x^2

5. Sep 6, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But you can use a subsitution: use, say, u=e^{7x}

6. Sep 6, 2008 #5
    How??
    I tried that million times and I couldn't get the right answer!!
    Here's what I tried

u=e^7x
    du=(7e^7x)dx

so then the integrand (that's what the thing being integrated is called, right?)
    becomes
    (u/(u^2 + 9))*du/(7e^7x)

that doesn't work!!!!!

7. Sep 6, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can you simplify the line in bold (perhaps using (#)?)

And yes, the thing being integrated is called the integrand :smile:

8. Sep 6, 2008 #7
    sorry for my constant refrain of complaining, but I already tried that and couldn't figure out how to integrate (u^2 + 9)^-1........

I know it involves something with ln(u^2 + 9), but I couldn't get that to work either!

9. Sep 6, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, ok, well I can see why you're banging your head against a brick wall then! Integrals like [tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+x^2}[/tex] are ones you should really know (especially for exams etc..) but in essence most people just look them up. The way to solve this, however, would be to make a final substitution x=tany.

10. Sep 6, 2008 #9
    Wait, what???
    I don't follow - I have never seen that before in Calculus I (I'm in Calc. II right now)

And what about the 9??
    That derivative is for x^2 + 1, not x^2 + 9

11. Sep 6, 2008 #10
    I mean that integral instead of derivative

12. Sep 6, 2008 #11
    Oh waiiiiiit never mind I found it in my reference page (integral of du/(x^2 + a^2) = blahblah.

Cristo, thank you so much - you are amaaaaaaaaaazing and although I did cry over this problem for about ninety minutes, I have learned a bunch and I am going to memorize some of these integrals involving u^2-a^2 and u^2+a^2, etc. that we didn't cover in AP Calc with flashcards.

Thanks again!!

13. Sep 6, 2008 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Glad I could help.

In case you're interested, the way to transform x^2+9 into the above form is to make a substitution of the form v=x/3, which will give 9(v^2-1). Then use v=tany So, you can solve this problem using around 4 different substitutions in succession.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?