1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of e.

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    I need to find the integral of (1/(1+e^x)) dx.

...I don't think I can use u substitution, but well, I'm basically open to suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2007 #2
    It should be solvable with substitution. Hint: u = 1+e^x

4. Sep 6, 2007 #3
    but, then wouldn't du = e^x dx? That would require a (1/e^x) outside the integral to balance it out, but my Cal I teacher (I'm now in Cal II with a different teacher) told me that I couldn't do this.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #4
    Write x in terms of u, and then take the differential.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #5
    let u = 1 + e^x
    then we know du = (e^x)dx
    and e^x = u -1

is there something we can multiply both the numerator and the denominator by to make this substitution work? Hint: this will turn it into a partial fraction decomposition problem.

7. Sep 6, 2007 #6
    Multiply by 1. (1=e-x/e-x)

8. Sep 6, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That multiplication isn't really necessary. JonF's first point was sufficient: if u= 1+ ex, then ex= u- 1. du= exdx= (u-1)dx so dx= du/(u-1).
    [tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+e^x}= \int\frac{du}{(u-1)(u)}[/tex]
    which can be done by partial fractions.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  9. Sep 6, 2007 #8
    Since i'm clumsy at partial fractions, I find multiplying by 1 to be a bit easier.

10. Sep 6, 2007 #9
    Edit: woops sorry just saw d_leet mentioned this method already. But if you have a fraction with some e^x or e^-x then if you cant do u substitution, multiply by (e^-x)/(e^-x) or (e^x)/(e^x) and then do a nice u substitution.

another method:

multiply the top and bottom by e^-x to get:

[tex]\int\frac{e^{-x} dx}{e^{-x}+1}[/tex]

which you can use the substitution u=e^-x +1 then you have du = e^-x dx at the top which reduces the problem down to a simple integral

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  11. Sep 7, 2007 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Multiplying both numerator, and denominator by ex, or, making a substitution, is pretty much the same. After that, you have to do Partial Fraction it. You cannot avoid it. :)

12. Sep 7, 2007 #11
    I could waste time by going the trig-way. :wink:

13. Sep 7, 2007 #12
    Really? I ended up with du/u which doesn't seem like I need to do partial fractions.

14. Sep 8, 2007 #13
    Then I’m pretty sure you did something wrong, what substitution did you use?

15. Sep 8, 2007 #14
    I used e^-x + 1 for u then du= -e^-x dx so since that is on the top already with just a different constant you can get -du/u.

16. Sep 8, 2007 #15
    It’s the integral of: (1/(1+e^x)), not (1/(1+e^-x)). That "-" makes a huge difference. If you use that substitution you can’t substitute the bottom.

17. Sep 8, 2007 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nor was the integrand
    [tex]\frac{e^{-x}dx}{1+ e^{-x}}[/tex]
    as PowerIso seems to think!

18. Sep 8, 2007 #17
    no what PowerIso did was this I think:

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+e^x} * \frac{e^{-x}}{e^{-x}} = \int\frac{e^{-x} dx}{e^{-x}+1}[/tex]

which doing the substitution u=e^(-x)+1 gives you -du/u.

19. Sep 8, 2007 #18
    I dont even think partial fractions are necessary. u(u-1)=u^2-u

so

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{1+e^x}= \int\frac{du}{(u-1)(u)} = \int{1 \over u^2-u}du = ln(u^2-u) + C = ln(e^{2x} + e^x) + C[/tex]

20. Sep 8, 2007 #19
    Well, here is what I did. I multiplied by e^-x/e^-x and I got e^-x/(e^-x + 1) , so i'm still fairly certain it works.

21. Sep 8, 2007 #20
    Yes that is what I did :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?