1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals on arbitrary (bounded) domains

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]A = \{(x, y, z) \in \mathbb{R}^n : 0 \lt x \leq 1, 0 \lt y \leq 1 - x^2, 0 \lt z \leq x^2 + y\}[/itex]. Define [itex]f : A \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]f(x, y, z) = y[/itex] for each [itex](x, y, z) \in A[/itex]. Accept that Fubini's theorem is applicable here. Find [itex]\int_A f[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Fubini's theorem must be used. Here, I will give a verbose statement of this theorem. Let [itex]D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be rectangular (i.e. a Cartesian product of intervals), and suppose [itex]f : D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] is integrable. Suppose n = p + q and let [itex]P \subseteq \mathbb{R}^p[/itex], [itex]Q \subseteq \mathbb{R}^q[/itex] such that [itex]D = P \times Q[/itex]. For each [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}^p[/itex], define [itex]f_x : Q \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]f_x(y) = f(x, y)[/itex] and suppose this function is integrable on Q. Now define [itex]F: P \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]F(x) = \int_Q f_x[/itex]. Then F is integrable and [itex]\int_P F = \int_P \int_Q f_x = \int_P \int_Q f(x, y) dy dx = \int_D f[/itex].

Another very relevant is as follows. Let [itex]A \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be a bounded set, not necessarily rectangular. Let [itex]D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be rectangular such that [itex]A \subseteq D[/itex]. We are interested in the integral of an integrable function [itex]f : A \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Let [itex]f_0 : D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be defined as [itex]f_0(x) = f(x)[/itex] when [itex]x \in A[/itex], and [itex]f_0(x) = 0[/itex] when [itex]x \in D \setminus A[/itex]. Then [itex]\int_D f_0 = \int_A f[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The question asks for an integral of a function defined on a non-rectangular region, so we will begin by enclosing the domain in a rectangle. Let [itex]D = (0, 1] \times (0, 1] \times (0, 2][/itex] so that D is rectangular and [itex]A \subseteq D[/itex]. Extend f to D by defining [itex]f_0 : D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]f_0(x, y, z) = f(x, y, z) = y[/itex] when [itex](x, y, z) \in A[/itex] and [itex]f_0(x, y, z) = 0[/itex] when [itex](x, y, z) \in D \setminus A[/itex]. By the above result, we get that f0 is integrable on D and [itex]\int_D f_0 = \int_A f[/itex], so now the problem is about an integral on a rectangular region. Thus we can (attempt to) apply Fubini's theorem.

Let [itex]P, Q, R \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] be the intervals composing D so that [itex]D = P \times Q \times R[/itex]. Define [itex]f_x : Q \times R \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]f_x(y, z) = f_0(x, y, z)[/itex], then define [itex]F : P \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by [itex]F(x) = \int_{Q \times R} f_x[/itex]. By Fubini's theorem, we get that

[tex]\int_P F = \int_{0}^{1} F = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{Q \times R} f_0[/tex]

Now I'm stuck. I think I've gotten the bounds on the first integral wrong. I think I have the right general idea with the set-up so far but there must be more to it. It has something to do with using 1 - x2 and x2 + y as the bounds on the integral, but I'm really not sure. There are a lot of technicalities and formalities to get out of the way before we can get to the nuts and bolts of the integral.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?