1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals question

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    I am just seeking some clarification.

Can one tell me the difference between right and left endpoints when drawing a function and estimating its area with these endpoints? And how are they connected to underestimation and overestimation?

If you can draw graphs and point out which ones are over/underestimated, and which have left/right endpoints, it will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2
    The left endpoint is on the left.

Draw a strait line to the right endpoint. What do see?

4. Jul 16, 2010 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given a function f(x) on an interval [a,b]. To estimate the value of

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\ dx[/tex]

you make a partition of the interval:

[tex]a = x_0 < x_1, ... ,< x_n = b[/tex]

and pick points ci in [xi-1,xi] for i = 1..n. You then approximate the integral with rectangles of height f(ci) on each subinterval:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n f(c_i)\Delta x_i[/tex]

If you pick the ci on the left of its subinterval [xi-1,xi] then ci=xi-1 and if you pick it on the right of its subinterval, then ci = xi.

If f is an increasing function its value will increase as x moves to the right. Using the left end point and drawing the approximating rectangle, you can see that the rectangles always underestimate the area under the curve, but if f is decreasing, just the opposite happens and the area of the rectangle overestimates the area under the curve.

Surely your text has pictures of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook