Can Integrals Ever Blow Up and What Does That Mean?

• Thread starter eep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, integrating functions that have singularities or "blow up" at certain points can be done using improper integrals. In the case of the function 1/|x|, the integral does not exist since it cannot be split into two pieces and evaluated separately. However, using complex variable theory, the principal-value integral can be defined and the integral can be shown to be 0 due to its odd symmetry. This approach is commonly used in solving wave equations and is discussed in advanced textbooks.
eep
Integrals that "blow up"

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can integrate a function over a range which includes a value that the integral "blows up" at, for example 1/x integrated from -1 to 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes; it's called an improper integral. In this case, you split your integral into two pieces, so that the singularity is at the boundary. Then, you replace the bound with a variable, and take the limit as the bound goes to zero.

(In this particular case, the result is that the integral does not exist)

so 1/x cannot be integrated over any range that passes through 0?

Not even a range that just touches zero!

But for fun, try integrating [itex]1/\sqrt{x}[/itex].

What about the intergral of 1/|x|? (absolute value of 1/x)

I don't have a problem with [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] because [itex]x^\frac{1}{2}[/itex] is defined everywhere (even though you might get imaginary numbers)

Last edited:
Oh, my bad, I meant [itex]1 / \sqrt{ |x| }[/itex]. :blushing:

You can most easily answer your question by working it out. You already know the answer for the integral of 1/x, right? And what is the definition of |x|?

Well, what I want to try and do for 1/|x| from say -1 to 1 is to change the integral into the integral of -1/x from -1 to 0 + the integral of 1/x from 0 to 1 but this doesn't work either. I tried replaced the 0's with h's and taking the limit but you still end up with the same problem. Grr. Can it just not be evaluated at all? |x| is just the absolute value of x. It gets rid of any sign information.

A thought... suppose we are trying to do the integral of 1/|x| from -1 to 1. We make the substitution u^2 = x, therefore...

[tex]
2udu = dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{|x|} dx = \int_{\sqrt{-1}}^{\sqrt{1}} \frac{2u}{|u^2|} du

= \int_{\sqrt{-1}}^{\sqrt{1}} \frac{2}{u}

= 2 (\ln{|1|} - \ln{|1|})

= 0

[/tex]
I can't immediately see what's wrong with this but I'm sure this can't be right as there is obviously only positive area under the graph of 1/|x|.

eep said:
A thought... suppose we are trying to do the integral of 1/|x| from -1 to 1. We make the substitution u^2 = x, therefore...

[tex]
2udu = dx
[/tex]

[tex]
\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{1}{|x|} dx = \int_{\sqrt{-1}}^{\sqrt{1}} \frac{2u}{|u^2|} du

= \int_{\sqrt{-1}}^{\sqrt{1}} \frac{2}{u}

= 2 (\ln{|1|} - \ln{|1|})

= 0

[/tex]
I can't immediately see what's wrong with this but I'm sure this can't be right as there is obviously only positive area under the graph of 1/|x|.
In your first post, you asked how to do an integral like this and, in his first response, Hurkyl told you how. Perhaps, "what's wrong with this" is that you are simply ignoring what he said! In general, if there is a singularity in the middle of an interval, you cannot just ignore it and evaluate the anti-derivative at the two endpoints.

Since 1/|x| is not defined at 0, integrate from -1 to some negative [itex]\alpha[/itex], integrate from some positive [itex]\beta[/itex] and add. Then take the limit, if it exists, as [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] go to 0. That is:
[tex]\int_{-1}^\alpha \frac{dx}{|x|}+ \int_\beta^1 \frac{dx}{|x|}[/tex]
Since |x|= -x for x< 0 and |x|= x for x> 0, this is just
[tex]-\int_{-1}^\alpha \frac{dx}{x}+ \int_\beta^1 \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]= -ln|x|\left|_{-1}^\alpha+ ln|x|left|_\beta^1[/tex]
[tex]= -ln|\alpha|+ ln|-1|+ ln|\beta|- ln|1|= ln|\beta|- ln|\alpha|[/tex]
Finally, take the limit as [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] go to 0 independently. In this case, that limit does not exist so the integral does not exist..

When you use complex variable theory, the integral of 1/x or 1/z can be defined in terms of what's called a principal part integral or principal-value integral. And then the integral of 1/x from -R to R can be shown to be zero -- it is, after all, an odd function.

This approach goes back to the turn of the 20th century when much research was being done on solutions of the wave equations in terms of Green's functions. You'll find discussions in most texts on advanced E&M, or on complex variable theory and, so-called Hilbert Transforms. Byron and
Fuller's Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics (Dover) gives a detailed discussion

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

By symmetry the integral [tex] \int_{-1}^{1}dx/x [/tex] is 0 taking Cauchy,s principal value for integral.

1. What does it mean for an integral to "blow up"?

When an integral "blows up", it means that the value of the integral becomes infinite. This can happen when the function being integrated has a singularity, or a point at which it is undefined or becomes infinitely large.

2. How can I tell if an integral will blow up?

One way to determine if an integral will blow up is to look for points where the function being integrated is undefined or becomes infinitely large. These points are called singularities, and if they fall within the limits of integration, the integral will blow up. Additionally, if the function approaches infinity as the limits of integration are approached, the integral will also blow up.

3. Can an integral blow up at both the upper and lower limits of integration?

Yes, an integral can blow up at both the upper and lower limits of integration. This is known as a double blow up and occurs when the function being integrated has singularities at both limits.

4. How can I avoid integrals that blow up?

One way to avoid integrals that blow up is to carefully choose the limits of integration. This may involve breaking up the integral into smaller parts and avoiding points of singularity. Another method is to use techniques such as integration by parts or substitution to manipulate the function and make it integrable.

5. Are there any real-world applications for integrals that blow up?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for integrals that blow up. One common example is in physics, where integrals with singularities can represent physical phenomena such as infinite forces or energy. These integrals can also arise in engineering problems involving infinite series or sums.