1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrand Simplification

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    I've just started fundamental Integration, so I don't know too many tricks, and every once and a while my textbook does something that I can't follow. In this case, it's not in the actual solving of the integral so much as it simplifying the function. Here's the problem:

[tex]\int \ \frac{8x^{3}dx}{4x^{2}+4x+5}[/tex]

In my textbook, it says "We can rewrite the given integral by dividing the denominator of the integrand into the numerator. Doing this, we obtain:"

[tex]\int \ 2x-2-\frac{2x-10}{4x^{2}+4x+5}[/tex]

I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I thought I might be able to pull it off with long division or synthetic division, but I don't really know how to do it. I tried doing a quick google to find out what to do, but it's all division with a single root. I'm sure it's actually really simple, but I just can't figure it out.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured because it was in the middle of solving a Calculus problem, this was the forum to put it in. Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Use polynomial long division (quickie tutorial in that here.)
  4. Jul 28, 2006 #3
    I knew it was something simple that I was missing...

Thanks a bunch, benorin. Now I can finish up that problem and turn in for the night!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?