How to Integrate 1+tanx.tan(x+a)?

• Thread starter Rishav sapahi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the problem is trying to find the solution to a equation in which the second term is a cosine.
Rishav sapahi

Homework Statement

∫[(1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫sec^x.tan(x+a)
after that i don't know as i tried method of substitution by putting x+a=t but i am not getting the answer as its form on the whole remains same

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem isn't clear. It is missing closing parentheses.

Is this what you meant?
$$\int (1+ \tan x).\tan (x+a).dx$$
or this?
$$\int (1+ \tan x.\tan (x+a)).dx$$

Rishav sapahi said:

Homework Statement

∫[(1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx

Homework Equations

∫sec^x.tan(x+a)
after that i don't know as i tried method of substitution by putting x+a=t but i am not getting the answer as its form on the whole remains same
As sharks said, what you wrote is ambiguous- you have a "(" without a corresponding ")". Also 1+ tan x is NOT sec^2 x. Did you mean 1+ tan^2 x.

∫[(1+tanx)tan(x+a)]dx
is a usual calculus problem the other form is not.

Rishav sapahi said:

Homework Statement

∫[(1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx

Homework Equations

∫sec^x.tan(x+a)

Hint: angle sum formula for tangent. Simplify with trig identity before integration.

EDIT: assuming the problem is: $$\int (1+ \tan x.\tan (x+a)).dx$$

apologies for my mistake it is ∫ [(1+tanx)tan(x+a)]dx

Rishav sapahi said:
apologies for my mistake it is ∫ [(1+tanx)tan(x+a)]dx

That can also be solved the same way. At least, that's the way I would do it. Expand out the brackets, then use my hint on the second term.

i am applying that but its getting complex,what i think is we have to multiply and divide the equation by some constant entity like cot a or anything else as i"ll show you a example
integrate 1/sin(x-a)cos(x-b)dx
in order to solve it we divide and multiply it by cos(a-b) then we"ll expand numerator as cos{(x-b)-(x-a)} and then apply c-d formula

Why don't you show what you did? Applied to this problem, not some other. And please use latex formatting.

First, expand your expression, step by step. As Curious3141 said, show us your work. Try to use LaTeX to make your expressions more readable. See the link below my reply, in my forum signature.

$$\int (1+ \tan x).\tan (x+a).dx=\int \tan (x+a).dx + \int \tan x.\tan (x+a).dx$$
The first integral should be easy. If not, you won't be able to do the second one.

To find the second integral, here's a hint. Just expand ##\tan (x+a)## and re-arrange the terms so you get ##\tan x.\tan (x+a)## on the L.H.S.

I am just new on PF and i am just learning to use LATEX formatting and my approach is
(1+tanx)tan(x+a)
=>(1+tanx){tanx+tana/1-(tan x)(tana)}
=>(1+tanx){1+(sinx/cos)/1-(sinx/cosx)(sina/cosa),then taking L.C.M and converting 1+tanx to (cosx+sinx)/cosx
=>{(cosx+sinx)/cosx}(cosx+sinx)/cosx(cosx.cosa)/(1-sinxsina)
then in the end its coming out to be cosa∫1/{cosx(1-sinxsina)}
and i don't know how to solve this

Last edited:
The method in 10 will get you the answer easily.
Manipulate the expression for tan(x+a) to find (tan x)(tan[x+a])

i am not getting the answer ,the answer is cot a.log{sec(x+a)\secx}+c

Rishav sapahi said:

I am getting that as one of the terms if log==natural log and {} are absolute value but it is not the complete solution.

Rishav sapahi said:
I am just new on PF and i am just learning to use LATEX formatting and my approach is
(1+tanx)tan(x+a)
=>(1+tanx){tanx+tana/1-(tan x)(tana)}
=>(1+tanx){1+(sinx/cos)/1-(sinx/cosx)(sina/cosa),then taking L.C.M and converting 1+tanx to (cosx+sinx)/cosx
=>{(cosx+sinx)/cosx}(cosx+sinx)/cosx(cosx.cosa)/(1-sinxsina)
then in the end its coming out to be cosa∫1/{cosx(1-sinxsina)}
and i don't know how to solve this

There is no need to expand tan into sin and cos. Re-read my previous post #10.

The answer that you've stated is not complete, as it deals with the second integral only.

Can you integrate the following?
$$\int \tan (x+a).dx$$

You should get:
$$\ln |\sec (x+a)|$$

Rishav sapahi said:
What answer do you get ?

Remember, [itex]\displaystyle \log(\sec(x+a)/\sec(x))=\log(\sec(x+a)\cos(x))=\log(\sec(x+a))+ \log(\cos(x))\ .[/itex]

Note that:

$$\tan (A - B) = \frac{\tan A - \tan B}{1 + \tan A \tan B}$$

Now put:

$$A = x + a, B = x$$

and see what you get.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse of differentiation and is used to calculate the total change in a function over a certain interval.

2. What is the formula for integrating [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx?

The formula for integrating [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx is ∫(1+tanx.tan(x+a))dx = ln|sec(x+a)| + C where C is the constant of integration.

3. How do you solve the integral of [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx?

To solve the integral of [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx, you can use the formula ∫(1+tanx.tan(x+a))dx = ln|sec(x+a)| + C and then apply the rules of integration for each term.

4. Can the integral of [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx be simplified?

Yes, the integral of [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx can be simplified by using trigonometric identities. For example, tan(x+a) = (tanx + tana)/(1-tanx.tana). Substituting this into the integral will make it easier to solve.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when integrating [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx?

Yes, when integrating [1+tanx.tan(x+a)]dx, you should be aware of any discontinuities or singularities in the function. These can affect the limits of integration and may require additional steps in the solution process.