1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate 48sin^4(3x)

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    I think i've done it at least once every day for the past week.
    I week getting it wrong on the homework site.
    Worst off all, it only alows 5 entries. I've used 4. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2
    Just curious, are you taking the anti-derivative, or a definite integral?

If it's a definite integral, it looks like a textbook case for Wallis' formula.

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3
    Use this formula [tex] \int \sin^n x \, dx = - \frac{\sin^{n-1} {x} \cos {x}}{n} + \frac{n-1}{n} \int \sin^{n-2}{x} \, dx[/tex]

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

noblegas's formula is probably simplest but the general method for even powers of sine or cosine is to use the double angle formula: cos(2x)= 1- 2sin2(x)= 2cos^2(x)- 1. From that [itex]sin^2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x))[/itex] and [itex]cos^2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x))[/itex].

For a fourth power, use that twice: [itex]sin^4(x)= ((1/2)(1- cos(2x)))^2[/itex][itex]= (1/4)(1- cos(2x)- cos^2(2x))[/itex]. 1/4 and (1/4) cos(2x) can be integrated directly. To integrate (1/4)cos2(2x) do it again: [itex](1/4)cos^2(2x)= (1/4)(1+ cos(4x))[/itex].

6. Nov 21, 2009 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also, if you want to check your answer before entering it on the homework site, you can always post your concerns here.
    We're not going to give you the answer, but if you show what you did we can always take a look.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook