1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate by changing to polar coordinates.

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

EDIT: I found my mistake. Theta goes from 90 to 270, not -90 to 90. Wrong side of the y axis. That changes last integration to -2 instead of 2, making final answer -126.

Evaluate the given integral by changing to polar coordinates.

[itex]\int\int_R 3(x+y) dA[/itex]

where R is the region that lies to the left of the y-axis between the circles x2 + y2 = 1 and x2 + y2 = 16.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I converted the region to integrate over in terms of theta and r.

It would be [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}\leq \theta \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

and [itex]1 \leq r \leq 4[/itex]

right? Usually this is the part I have problems with, so this may be wrong.

Next I convert dA which will turn into [itex]rdrd\theta[/itex].

Finally, the integrand 3(x+y) turns into 3r(cos(theta) + sin(theta)), and adding the extra r from dA, altogether getting

[itex]\int_\frac{-\pi}{2}^\frac{\pi}{2}\int_{1}^{4} 3r^{2}(\cos\theta + \sin\theta) drd\theta[/itex].

I got 126, but apparently that is wrong... did I set it up right? here's how I solved

The 3(cos + sin) would be a constant with respect to r. integrating r2 from 1 to 4 gives me 21. 3*21=63, which is constant, so i am integrating (cos + sin) from -90° to 90°. I get 2 for this, and 63 times 2 is 126.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted