Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate cos(2x)^N

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hi there,

I am having a hard time figuring out how to integrate cos(2x)^N where N=0,1,2....

Can anyone give me and hints/tips on how to go about integrating this?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2
    I haven't rechecked my work yet, but I think this works. Also, I'm assuming you meant [itex]\int \cos^n(2x)\,dx[/itex]. Rewrite the integral as
    [tex]\int \cos^{n-1}(2x)\cos(2x)\,dx[/tex]
    Then use integration by parts. Once you do this, use integration by parts again to evaluate the integral that's left over. You will get constant*I = stuff - (another constant)*I, where I is the integral left over after the first integration by parts. Now solve for I.

I hope this works. I'll do a double check later. Let me know how this works out.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the hint. I will try this out. I didn't think to seperate it like that and do integration by parts. But I will give it a shot and let you know how that goes for me! =S

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First make the substitution u= 2x and the problem becomes just
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int cos(u)du[/tex]
    so the "2" inside the cosine is irrelevant.

If n is odd, say, n= 2k+1, it is easy. Factor one cosine out for the 'du' and make the substitution y= cos(u).

If n is even, say, n= 2k, that is harder. Use the trig substitution cos^2(u)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2u)) to reduce the power:
    [tex]\int cos^{2k}(u)du[/tex][tex]= \frac{1}{2}\int du+ \frac{1}{2}\int cos^k(u)du[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{u}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}\int cos^k(u)du[/tex]
    So you have a recursion relation. I suspect doing the n= 2, 4, 6 (so k= 1, 2, 3) will give you an idea of the pattern and then the recursion relation will allow you to prove that pattern by induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook