Integrate cos(x^5): Solve \int \cos x^5 dx

• Thread starter Artaxerxes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, solving the integral \int \cos x^5 dx leads to two different forms using the functions E(v,z) and the gamma function, both involving complex numbers. However, a simpler solution can be obtained by using the Taylor series for cos and substituting x^5 with u.
Artaxerxes
Can you solve this [itex] \int \cos x^5 dx[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I can't

nope ...

It probably can't be done in terms of elementary functions. Mathematica has an answer of 2 different forms:

Take E(v,z) here to be this function http://functions.wolfram.com/GammaBetaErf/ExpIntegralE/ we have:[tex] \int \cos x^5 dx = - \frac{1}{10} \left( E\left( \frac{4}{5} , -i x^5 \right) + E\left( \frac{4}{5} , i x^5 \right) \right)[/tex]

Or in terms of the gamma function http://functions.wolfram.com/GammaBetaErf/Gamma/ :

[tex]\int \cos x^5 dx = - \frac{\left( x^{10} \right)^{\frac{4}{5}}}{10x^9}\left( \left(i x^5 \right)^{\frac{1}{5}} \Gamma \left( \frac{1}{5} , -i x^5 \right) + \left(-i x^5 \right)^{\frac{1}{5}} \Gamma \left( \frac{1}{5} , i x^5 \right) \right)[/tex]

I don't really understand why mathematica didn't simplify it further, so I've tried to keep it to what mathematica outputted.

Last edited:
Thank you!

thats why series solutions are so conviennt

The Taylor series for cos converges for all real x, so you should have just let x^5 = u in the taylor expansion of cos u, integrated term by term and you are left with an even nicer result than what mathematicia gives out.

What is the general approach to solving this integral?

The general approach to solving an integral involves using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to transform the integral into a simpler form that can be easily evaluated.

Can we use the power rule to solve this integral?

No, the power rule only applies to integrals of the form ∫x^n dx. In this case, we have an integral of the form ∫cos(x^5) dx, which cannot be solved using the power rule.

What substitution should we use to solve this integral?

We can use the substitution u = x^5 to transform the integral into the form ∫cos(u) du. This will allow us to use the trigonometric identity cos(u) = (e^iu + e^-iu)/2 to simplify the integral further.

What is the final answer to this integral?

The final answer to this integral is ∫cos(x^5) dx = (1/5)sin(x^5) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be obtained by using the substitution u = x^5 and applying the trigonometric identity cos(u) = (e^iu + e^-iu)/2.

Is there a shortcut or trick to solving this integral?

No, there is no shortcut or trick to solving this integral. It requires knowledge of various integral techniques and trigonometric identities, as well as practice and patience in manipulating the integral into a simpler form.