1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate e^(x^2)

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate e^(x^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea at all..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's a reason for that. That function, like most integrable functions, does not have an anti-derivative that can be written in terms of elementary functions.

4. Apr 9, 2008 #3
    But someone told me that it's important in Quantum Mechanics. (I'm still first year)

5. Apr 9, 2008 #4
    You can solve it using a lambert function, but that is no elementary solution. I only know that as by a fluke someone asked me the same question yesterday. I already knew it was insoluble though with elementary functions.

6. Apr 9, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sai! :smile:

e^(-x^2) is important in Quantum Mechanics.

But it's usually integrated from 0 to ∞, for which there's a trick (from memory, the result is something like √π), and so an anti-derivative isn't needed. :smile:

7. Apr 9, 2008 #6
    I see. one of my friends is very good at maths and he's trying to solve this one for days. I'll tell him.

yeah i remember reading it somewhere. it's got something to do with the gaussian distribution if i'm not mistaken.

8. Apr 9, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you're right … it is the gaussian distribution (aka the normal distribution)! :smile:

9. Apr 9, 2008 #8

10. Apr 9, 2008 #9
    [itex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{x^2}\;dx [/itex] where [itex]e^{x^2}={\frac{2}{x}}e^{x^2}[/itex]

Is it something like this? I can't remember but I've seen that somewhere before? Reaching a bit now though, I wouldn't take my advice

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  11. Apr 9, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No … it's more like ∫e^x^2dx = √[∫e^x^2dx∫e^y^2dy], and then changing to dr and dθ. :smile:

12. Apr 9, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, once again, it must be
    [tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]
    in order to converge.

13. Apr 9, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:redface: oops! :redface:

Thanks, HallsofIvy! :smile:

14. Apr 9, 2008 #13
    Hehe in that case I don't know where that came from. :smile:

Humour me could you show me how you would go about doing that in more detail? I'm not sure quite if I get that?

Are you talking about spherical polars? If so how does that work? Or should I say why does that work?

15. Apr 9, 2008 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ∫e^-x^2dx and ∫e^-y^2dy are two different ways of writing the same thing, aren't they?

So each is the √ of their product, ie:

√∫∫e^-(x^2 + y^2)dxdy

= √∫∫e^-r^2dxdy

= √∫∫r.e^-r^2drdθ

= … ? :smile:

16. Apr 9, 2008 #15
    You are right! It is integrated from negative infinity to positive infinity. I get one method to do that, but have another problem..
    e^(x^2)=e^(-i)*e^(ix^2)=e^(-i)*(cos(x^2)+isin(x^2))
    I try to integrate sin(x^2) or cos(x^2) instead, however, i havent get it yet:confused:

17. Apr 9, 2008 #16

I don't know [itex]e^{i\pi}+1[/itex] you're the teacher. :smile:

Please be gentle with me I haven't studied any of this in seven months, so I've forgotten most of it. :smile:

18. Apr 9, 2008 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The goal is to evaluate

[tex]I=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

This is obviously a positive value (if the integral converges), so [itex]I=\sqrt{I^2}[/itex], or

[tex]
    \begin{aligned}
    I^2 &= \left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right)\left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right) \\[6pt]
    &= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(x+y)^2}\,dxdy &\text{physicists have no problem w/ this step}\\[6pt]
    &= \int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta & \text{conversion to polar}\\[6pt]
    &= \frac{\pi}4 \int_0^{\infty} e^{-u} du & \text{with substitution $ u=r^2 $} \\[6pt]
    &= \frac{\pi} 4 & \text{and thus}\\[6pt]
    I &= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}2
    \end{aligned}
    [/tex]

19. Apr 9, 2008 #18
    Ah right I get it thanks DH. That's what I was looking for. :smile:

[tex]\begin{aligned}\\[6pt]&= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(x+y)^2}\,dxdy &\text{physicists have no problem w/ this step}\\[6pt]\end{aligned}[/tex]

Are the Secret Algebra Squad (SAS) onto them or something? :smile:

[tex]
    \int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=0.88622692545275801364908374167057
    [/tex]

Nice and irrational. :smile:

20. Apr 9, 2008 #19

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Zachary! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No … e^(x^2) doesn't equal e^(-i)*e^(ix^2).

And ∫e^(ix^2)dx can be dealt with in the same way as ∫e^(-x^2)dx, except that you end up with √∫e^(iu)du, which doesn't converge. :smile:

21. Apr 9, 2008 #20
    sorry.. I meant x^2=-(-1)*x^2=-(i^2)*(x^2)=-i*(i*x^2) so that i can use e^ix=cosx+isinx.
    But D H has provided the answer, that is quite nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?