"Integrate e^(x^2): Solving the Equations

• Thread starter sai2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, Homework Equations involve integrals that can be solved using a Lambert function, but an anti-derivative is not necessary.
sai2020

Homework Statement

Integrate e^(x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea at all..

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a reason for that. That function, like most integrable functions, does not have an anti-derivative that can be written in terms of elementary functions.

But someone told me that it's important in Quantum Mechanics. (I'm still first year)

sai2020 said:
But someone told me that it's important in Quantum Mechanics. (I'm still first year)

You can solve it using a lambert function, but that is no elementary solution. I only know that as by a fluke someone asked me the same question yesterday. I already knew it was insoluble though with elementary functions.

Hi sai! :smile:

e^(-x^2) is important in Quantum Mechanics.

But it's usually integrated from 0 to ∞, for which there's a trick (from memory, the result is something like √π), and so an anti-derivative isn't needed. :smile:

I see. one of my friends is very good at maths and he's trying to solve this one for days. I'll tell him.

tiny-tim said:
But it's usually integrated from 0 to ∞, for which there's a trick (from memory, the result is something like √π), and so an anti-derivative isn't needed. :smile:

yeah i remember reading it somewhere. it's got something to do with the gaussian distribution if I'm not mistaken.

sai2020 said:
yeah i remember reading it somewhere. it's got something to do with the gaussian distribution if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, you're right … it is the gaussian distribution (aka the normal distribution)! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

[itex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{x^2}\;dx [/itex] where [itex]e^{x^2}={\frac{2}{x}}e^{x^2}[/itex]

Is it something like this? I can't remember but I've seen that somewhere before? Reaching a bit now though, I wouldn't take my advice

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
[itex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{x^2}\;dx [/itex] where [itex]e^{x^2}={\frac{2}{x}}e^{x^2}[/itex]

Is it something like this?

No … it's more like ∫e^x^2dx = √[∫e^x^2dx∫e^y^2dy], and then changing to dr and dθ. :smile:

And, once again, it must be
[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]
in order to converge.

:redface: oops! :redface:

Thanks, HallsofIvy! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
No … it's more like ∫e^x^2dx = √[∫e^x^2dx∫e^y^2dy], and then changing to dr and dθ. :smile:

Hehe in that case I don't know where that came from. :smile:

Humour me could you show me how you would go about doing that in more detail? I'm not sure quite if I get that?

Are you talking about spherical polars? If so how does that work? Or should I say why does that work?

Last edited:
Well, ∫e^-x^2dx and ∫e^-y^2dy are two different ways of writing the same thing, aren't they?

So each is the √ of their product, ie:

√∫∫e^-(x^2 + y^2)dxdy

= √∫∫e^-r^2dxdy

= √∫∫r.e^-r^2drdθ

= … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:

You are right! It is integrated from negative infinity to positive infinity. I get one method to do that, but have another problem..
e^(x^2)=e^(-i)*e^(ix^2)=e^(-i)*(cos(x^2)+isin(x^2))
I try to integrate sin(x^2) or cos(x^2) instead, however, i haven't get it yet:confused:

tiny-tim said:
Well, ∫e^-x^2dx and ∫e^-y^2dy are two different ways of writing the same thing, aren't they?

So each is the √ of their product, ie:

√∫∫e^-(x^2 + y^2)dxdy

= √∫∫e^-r^2dxdy

= √∫∫r.e^-r^2drdθ

= … ? :smile:
I don't know [itex]e^{i\pi}+1[/itex] you're the teacher. :smile:

Please be gentle with me I haven't studied any of this in seven months, so I've forgotten most of it. :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Humour me could you show me how you would go about doing that in more detail? I'm not sure quite if I get that?
The goal is to evaluate

[tex]I=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

This is obviously a positive value (if the integral converges), so [itex]I=\sqrt{I^2}[/itex], or

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
I^2 &= \left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right)\left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right) \\[6pt]
&= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(x+y)^2}\,dxdy &\text{physicists have no problem w/ this step}\\[6pt]
&= \int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta & \text{conversion to polar}\\[6pt]
&= \frac{\pi}4 \int_0^{\infty} e^{-u} du & \text{with substitution $ u=r^2 $} \\[6pt]
&= \frac{\pi} 4 & \text{and thus}\\[6pt]
I &= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}2
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Ah right I get it thanks DH. That's what I was looking for. :smile:

[tex]\begin{aligned}\\[6pt]&= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(x+y)^2}\,dxdy &\text{physicists have no problem w/ this step}\\[6pt]\end{aligned}[/tex]

Are the Secret Algebra Squad (SAS) onto them or something? :smile:

[tex]
\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=0.88622692545275801364908374167057
[/tex]

Nice and irrational. :smile:

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Zachary said:
I try to integrate sin(x^2) or cos(x^2) instead, however, i haven't get it yet:confused:

Hi Zachary! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No … e^(x^2) doesn't equal e^(-i)*e^(ix^2).

And ∫e^(ix^2)dx can be dealt with in the same way as ∫e^(-x^2)dx, except that you end up with √∫e^(iu)du, which doesn't converge. :smile:

tiny-tim said:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Zachary! Welcome to PF! :smile:

No … e^(x^2) doesn't equal e^(-i)*e^(ix^2).

And ∫e^(ix^2)dx can be dealt with in the same way as ∫e^(-x^2)dx, except that you end up with √∫e^(iu)du, which doesn't converge. :smile:

sorry.. I meant x^2=-(-1)*x^2=-(i^2)*(x^2)=-i*(i*x^2) so that i can use e^ix=cosx+isinx.
But D H has provided the answer, that is quite nice.

I'd like to point out that Gaussian's are useful for more than just quantum mechanics. They are good for error analysis and optics just to name a couple.

Mindscrape said:
I'd like to point out that Gaussian's are useful for more than just quantum mechanics. They are good for error analysis and optics just to name a couple.

that's true. it is useful in the data analysis in the experiment..:smile:

D H said:
The goal is to evaluate

[tex]I=\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

This is obviously a positive value (if the integral converges), so [itex]I=\sqrt{I^2}[/itex], or

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
I^2 &= \left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right)\left(\int_0^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx\right) \\[6pt]
&= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(x+y)^2}\,dxdy &\text{physicists have no problem w/ this step}\\[6pt]
&= \int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-r^2}r\,dr\,d\theta & \text{conversion to polar}\\[6pt]
&= \frac{\pi}4 \int_0^{\infty} e^{-u} du & \text{with substitution $ u=r^2 $} \\[6pt]
&= \frac{\pi} 4 & \text{and thus}\\[6pt]
I &= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}2
\end{aligned}
[/tex]
Mathematicians have no problem with that step either- it follows from Fubini's theorem. It's taught in most Multi-variable Calculus classes.

Sai2020, the fact that something is "important in Quantum Mechanics" (or, more generally probability and statistics) doesn't mean it is going to be easy to calculate. For x other than infinity, you look up values in a table generated by numerical integration.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Sai2020, the fact that something is "important in Quantum Mechanics" (or, more generally probability and statistics) doesn't mean it is going to be easy to calculate. For x other than infinity, you look up values in a table generated by numerical integration.

I didn't expect it to be easy. I just wanted to know :)

Btw, this is the friend
Zachary said:
You are right! It is integrated from negative infinity to positive infinity. I get one method to do that, but have another problem..

I was talking about :)
sai2020 said:
I see. one of my friends is very good at maths and he's trying to solve this one for days. I'll tell him.

Strictly speaking, the "Gaussian function" on which the Normal distribution is based is
[tex]f(x)= e^{\frac{-x^2}{2}}[/tex]
rather than
[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]
The method of integration from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] is the same but the result is, of course, different.

HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking, the "Gaussian function" on which the Normal distribution is based is
rather than
[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]
The method of integration from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] is the same but the result is, of course, different.

Ah that's what I was thinking about earlier, I knew I'd seen it before earlier.

HallsofIvy said:
rather than
[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]

The error function, on the other hand, is based on [itex]f(x)=e^{-x^2}[/itex]. In particular,

[tex]\text{erf}(x) = \frac 2{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2}\,dt[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of integrating e^(x^2)?

The purpose of integrating e^(x^2) is to find the area under the curve of the function e^(x^2). This can be useful in various applications in physics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How do I solve equations involving e^(x^2)?

To solve equations involving e^(x^2), you can use the technique of integration by parts. This involves rewriting the equation in a different form and using integration rules to solve for the variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to integrate e^(x^2)?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function for integrating e^(x^2). However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the result may vary depending on the complexity of the equation.

4. Is there a special formula for integrating e^(x^2)?

No, there is no specific formula for integrating e^(x^2). However, there are various techniques and integration rules that can be used to solve equations involving this function.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integrating e^(x^2)?

Yes, integrating e^(x^2) has many real-life applications. For example, it is used in probability and statistics to calculate the area under a normal distribution curve. It is also used in physics and engineering to find the energy and work done in systems with variable forces.