1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate e^(x^2)

1. Apr 2, 2003 #1
    does the integrate e^(x^2) can solve??
    i think is no.....
    but why??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That depends upon exactly what you mean.

Since e^(x^2) is a continuous function, yes, it HAS an integral (anti-derivative). Every continuous function (and many non-continuous functions) is the derivative of some function and therefore has an anti-derivative.

Is that anti-derivative any "elementary function" (defined as polynomials, rational functions, exponentials, logarithms, trig functions and combinations of them)? No, if fact for most functions the anti-derivative is not an elementary function. (There are more functions in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy, Horatio!)

Of course one can always DEFINE a new function to do the job. I don't know specifically about e^(x^2) but the ERROR FUNCTION, Erf(x) is defined as an anti-derivative of e^(-x^2).

4. Apr 7, 2003 #3
    eh...

may i ask what is Error Function??

5. Apr 7, 2003 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook