Integrate ∫sin(sin(x)) dx - What is It?

• Thread starter kahwawashay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: Nvmmm I typed in the sin function in wrong format lolAnd even the mighty Mathematica who knows the work of Gradsheyn and Rytzhik by heart couldn't do it...
kahwawashay1
What is ∫sin(sin(x)) dx ?

I was told that it was not an elementary function. Then what function is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
kahwawashay1 said:
What is ∫sin(sin(x)) dx ?

I was told that it was not an elementary function. Then what function is it?

I don't think it has a name yet. Do you want to name it?

Dick said:
I don't think it has a name yet. Do you want to name it?

Haha how can it not be already named? Can't someone solve it?

kahwawashay1 said:
Solve what?

You've been told that it's not an elementary function.

About the best that can be done is to express the integrand as a Taylor series, the integrate that.

kahwawashay1 said:

Some integrals that can't be expressed as elementary functions are useful enough that they are given special names. E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral Not being able to 'solve' something doesn't it isn't useful or that there is nothing you can say about it.

Dick said:
Some integrals that can't be expressed as elementary functions are useful enough that they are given special names. E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral Not being able to 'solve' something doesn't it isn't useful or that there is nothing you can say about it.

ohhh
But I just downloaded Mathematica, and when I integrate sin(sin(x)), it gives me: (1/2)(sin2(x2))
But I can't see how taking the derivative of that gives sinsinx
Is Mathematica wrong then?

kahwawashay1 said:
ohhh
But I just downloaded Mathematica, and when I integrate sin(sin(x)), it gives me: (1/2)(sin2(x2))
But I can't see how taking the derivative of that gives sinsinx
Is Mathematica wrong then?

Nvmmm I typed in the sin function in wrong format lol

And even the mighty Mathematica who knows the work of Gradsheyn and Rytzhik by heart couldn't do it...

1. What is the meaning of "Integrate ∫sin(sin(x)) dx"?

Integrating ∫sin(sin(x)) dx means finding the function whose derivative is sin(sin(x)). In other words, we are looking for a function whose slope at any given point is equal to sin(sin(x)).

2. Why is it important to integrate functions?

Integrating functions allows us to find the total change or area under a curve. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Is it possible to solve "Integrate ∫sin(sin(x)) dx" analytically?

Yes, it is possible to solve this integral analytically by using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. However, the resulting integral may be complex and difficult to evaluate.

4. What are the steps to solve "Integrate ∫sin(sin(x)) dx"?

The steps to solve this integral may vary depending on the integration technique used. Generally, the steps involve using a substitution to simplify the integral, integrating the resulting function, and then substituting back the original variable.

5. How is "Integrate ∫sin(sin(x)) dx" used in real-world applications?

This integral has various applications in science and engineering, such as in the analysis of waveforms, fluid mechanics, and signal processing. It is also used in solving differential equations and in calculating the work done by a force over a given distance.