1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate sqrt(9-x^2) by hand

1. Jan 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate
    $$\int_ \ \sqrt[2]{9-x^{2}} \, \mathrm{d} x.$$

2. Relevant equations

U substitution
    Integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution

My teacher said it wasn't possible "by hand", but Wolframalpha provided a step-by-step solution. I'm clueless as to how wolfram came up with the substitutions/steps and how a mere mortal as myself could possibly be expected to do the same. If you could walk me through the logic behind the steps that wolfram provides, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm really just curious about the process as I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Wolfram's steps: http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=dc816cd78d306d7bda61f6facf5f17f7

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean 'by hand'. You can certainly integrate it with a trig substitution. Try x=3*sin(t). What's dx? The Wolfram reference you gave is about integrating sec^3(x). I don't see what that has to do with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  4. Jan 17, 2013 #3
    Hey Dick,

Thanks for your reply. I suppose we haven't learned trig substitution yet, so I guess that's my problem.
    As for the dx, doesn't that mean 'in respect to x'?

Thanks!

5. Jan 17, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not knowing trig substitution probably is not a help. But you know ordinary u substitution, yes? It's the same thing except you use trig functions. If you put x=t^2 then dx=2tdt. If you put x=3*sin(t) then dx=3*cos(t)dt. Same general idea.

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    Alright then, I guess that's something I'll have to study later on.
    Thanks!

7. Jan 17, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ok. You could probably do it now if you took a crack at it. It's not that mysterious. But if you want to wait till later, that's ok too.

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If it's a definite integral, with certain limits, then you can evaluate the integral be exploiting the geometry involved.

For example, if it happens to be
    $$ \int_0^3 \sqrt{9 - x^2}dx$$
    then the integral represents one quarter of the area of a circle of radius 3, centered at (0, 0).

9. Jan 18, 2013 #8

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Integrate by parts

$$\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mathrm{dx}=
    x\sqrt{a^2-x^2}-\int \frac{-x^2}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}} \mathrm{dx}$$
    $$=x \sqrt{a^2-x^2}-\int \frac{a^2-x^2}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}} \mathrm{dx}+a^2 \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}} \mathrm{dx}=x \sqrt{a^2-x^2}-\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mathrm{dx}+a^2\arcsin(x/a) $$
    From which we conclude
    $$\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mathrm{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\left(x\sqrt{a^2-x^2}+a^2\arcsin(x/a)\right)$$
    An unrestricted form is
    $$\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mathrm{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\left(x \sqrt{a^2-x^2}+\arctan \left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\right)\right)
    $$

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook