What is the correct way to integrate sqrt(4x) + sqrt(4x) on the interval 0 to 1?

• Thread starter MathGnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation started with someone struggling with an integration problem and asking for help. The problem was to integrate sqrt(4x) + sqrt(4x) on the interval 0 to 1. After some back and forth, the problem was clarified and simplified to 2 times the integration of sqrt(4x) on the interval 0 to 1. The simplified form was found to be 8/3. The person then realized their mistake and thanked the expert for their help.
MathGnome
Ok, I've been doing work for about 4 hours straight and I think my brain is fried. I know this is easy, it is just not working in my head.

Anyway, the problem is this:

Integrate the sqrt(4x) + sqrt(4x) on the interval 0 to 1

I get, (8^3/2)/3 + (8^3/2)/3 but apparently this is not right. I'm probably forgetting something I'll hit myself in the head for :cry:. Any help though?

Thx,
MathGnome

PS: This is not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble seeing what the problem is. Did you mean [itex]\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sqrt{4x}+\sqrt{4x}\right)dx[/itex]? That's what it looks like. If so, you can simplify before integration.

apmcavoy said:
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble seeing what the problem is. Did you mean [itex]\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sqrt{4x}+\sqrt{4x}\right)dx[/itex]? That's what it looks like. If so, you can simplify before integration.
Yep, that's the one.

[itex]2\int_{0}^{1}\left(\sqrt{4x}\right)dx[/itex] (Is this the simplified form?)

Last edited:
Alright, you can take the square root of 4. Now you have the following:

[tex]4\int_0^1\sqrt{x}dx=\frac{8{\sqrt{x}}^3}{3}\right|_0^1=\boxed{\frac{8}{3}}[/tex]

Yes, you simplified correctly.

Last edited:
Ahh, I see what I did I think. I think I tried to just throw out the 1 and ended up with (8^(3/2))/3

Thanks for the help!
It's hard to stop from taking shortcuts! Argh! :redface:

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of integration?

Integration is the process of finding the function from its derivative, or the reverse of differentiation. It is used to calculate the area under a curve or to find the total change in a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use tables of integrals or computer software to help you with the calculations.

3. What is the purpose of using the square root in integration problems?

The square root is often used in integration problems to represent a function with a varying rate of change. It can also be used to represent the length of a curve or the area of a region bounded by a curve.

4. How do you integrate a square root function?

To integrate a square root function, you can use the substitution method, where you substitute the variable inside the square root with a new variable. You can also use the power rule, where you rewrite the square root as a fractional exponent and apply the power rule to solve the integral.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating square root functions?

Yes, there are special cases when integrating square root functions. For example, when the radicand (expression inside the square root) is a perfect square, the integration simplifies to a simpler form. Another special case is when the square root function is inside a trigonometric function, which requires the use of trigonometric identities to solve the integral.