How to Integrate sqrt(x/2-x)dx Using Trigonometric Substitution?

• Thread starter DigiDigi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the problem is to integrate either \int\sqrt{\frac{x}{2}-x}\space dx or \int\sqrt{\frac{x}{2-x}} dx. The latter is assumed to be the correct problem. To solve it, the substitution u=\sqrt{2-x} is used, which transforms the integral into -2 \int \sqrt{2-u^2} du. This can then be solved using trigonometric substitution, specifically setting u^2=2sin^2\theta.
DigiDigi
How do I integrate sqrt(x/2-x)dx?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the problem:

[itex]\int\sqrt{\frac{x}{2}-x}\space dx[/itex] or [itex]\int\sqrt \frac{x}{2-x}\space dx[/itex] ?

I'm assuming it is the later. [itex] \int \sqrt{\frac{x}{2-x}} dx= \int \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{2-x}} dx[/itex]

Use the substitution [itex] u= \sqrt{2-x} [/itex] to turn the integral into [itex] -2 \int \sqrt{2-u^2} du [/itex], which you can do by trig substitution.

HS-Scientist said:
I'm assuming it is the later. [itex] \int \sqrt{\frac{x}{2-x}} dx= \int \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{2-x}} dx[/itex]

Use the substitution [itex] u= \sqrt{2-x} [/itex] to turn the integral into [itex] -2 \int \sqrt{2-u^2} du [/itex], which you can do by trig substitution.

Yes,it this one.I know U substitution, but I think I miss out something.How did you change [itex] u= \sqrt{2-x} [/itex] to turn the integral into [itex] -2 \int \sqrt{2-u^2} du [/itex]

If [itex] u=\sqrt{2-x} [/itex], then [itex] \sqrt{x}=\sqrt{2-u^2} [/itex] and [itex] du=-\frac{dx}{2\sqrt{2-x}} [/itex].

When you said trigonometric substitution, you mean a^2-x^2=1-sin^2(x)?

More like the [itex] a^2-x^2=a^2(1-sin^2{\theta}) [/itex] that you will get when you set [itex] u^2=2sin^2\theta [/itex]

1. What is the formula for integrating sqrt(x/2-x)?

The formula for integrating sqrt(x/2-x) is:
∫ sqrt(x/2-x) dx = (2/3) * (x - 2) * sqrt(2x - x^2) + C

2. How do I solve the integral of sqrt(x/2-x)?

To solve the integral of sqrt(x/2-x), you can use the substitution method. Let u = 2x - x^2, then du = (2 - 2x) dx. After substituting u and du into the integral, you can simplify the expression and use basic integration rules to solve for the integral.

3. Can I use integration by parts to solve sqrt(x/2-x)dx?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve sqrt(x/2-x)dx. However, it may be more complicated and time-consuming compared to using the substitution method.

4. Is there a specific range of values for x when integrating sqrt(x/2-x)?

Yes, there is a specific range of values for x when integrating sqrt(x/2-x). The function is only defined for x values between 0 and 2. Any values outside of this range will result in an undefined integral.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve the integral of sqrt(x/2-x)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the integral of sqrt(x/2-x). Most scientific calculators have an integration function that can handle basic integrals like this one. However, it is always recommended to understand the steps and concepts behind the calculation rather than solely relying on a calculator.