1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate This

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    Find the antiderivative of:

That's -2x over all of that... Bleh, i suck at code.

But anyway.. I just started integrals, and this is confusing for me... Is there a product or quotient rule in integrals like there is in derivatives?.. if not? how do you work this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2
    Make a substitution, let u = 1-x2 then du = -2x and you have a fairly simple integral in terms of u.
  4. Apr 21, 2006 #3

Gold Member

Here is the code for it in case you need to use it in the future (click to see code)

[tex]\int\frac{-2x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \ dx[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  5. Apr 21, 2006 #4
    how do you know what to make u and what to make du?
  6. Apr 22, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By thinking and analyzing the problem! The difficulty is that [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] in the denominator. The very first thing you should have thought about was substituting for that: u= 1- x^2. Then you would immediately see that du= -2xdx and that would work only if you had an xdx already in the problem (the "-2" is a constant and you can move constants in and out of the integral- you can't do that with "x", the x has to already be there) and, indeed, the problem has an "xdx". Lucky you!

(Once you've decided what to try for u, you don't "decide" what du is- that follows from the derivative of u. Notice I said "try"- you can seldom look at an integral and know what substitution will work. A lot of it is trial and error.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?