How Can I Solve for B as a Function of r in This Equation?

In summary, the forum poster is struggling to solve the given equation for B as a function of r, in which r and B[r] terms are coupled. Some possible techniques to solve this problem include the substitution method, power series method, and numerical methods. It is important to keep in mind that there may be multiple ways to approach this problem and to not be afraid to try different methods.
off-diagonal

Homework Statement

I've got B as a function of r B[r] B'[r] for derivative B[r] with respect to r and C for constant

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{\frac{\ B'[r]}{\ r B[r]^2}}+\mathbf{\frac{\ (B[r]-1)}{\ r^2 B[r]}}= C[/tex]

solve for B as a function of r

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to separate r from B[r] term and move it to the other side of the equation and then integrate out but I can't separate them since they are couple to each other.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your struggle in trying to separate the r and B[r] terms in the given equation. However, there are a few techniques that you can use to solve this problem. One way is to use the substitution method, where you replace B[r] with a new variable, say u, and then solve for u. Once you have the solution for u, you can then substitute back B[r] to get the final solution.

Another technique is to use the power series method, where you expand B[r] into a series of powers of r and then solve for the coefficients. This method requires some algebraic manipulation and may be a bit more complex, but it can also yield a solution.

Lastly, you can also try to use numerical methods to solve for B[r]. This involves using a computer program or a calculator to approximate the solution. This method is useful when the equation cannot be solved analytically.

I hope these suggestions will help you in solving the given equation. Keep in mind that there may be multiple ways to approach this problem, so don't be afraid to try different methods. Good luck!

1. What does it mean to integrate an unknown function?

Integrating an unknown function means finding the original function from its derivative. It is the reverse process of differentiation.

2. Why is integrating an unknown function important?

Integrating an unknown function is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulate data, and find the area under a curve.

3. What are the different integration techniques?

The different integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and using tables of integrals.

4. How do I know which integration technique to use?

Choosing the right integration technique depends on the form and complexity of the function. Generally, it is helpful to look for patterns and apply the appropriate technique based on the form of the function.

5. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions can be integrated. Some functions do not have an antiderivative, and therefore, cannot be integrated. These types of functions are known as non-integrable or special functions.