Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integrate (((x)^2)/2 + 9)

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫√(((x)^2)/2 + 9) dx

2. Relevant equations

---

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having a horrible time trying to do it. Problem is, I don't know how to start. The only thing I can think of is using trigonometric substitution. But I don't know how to manipulate the function in order to make it fit. A hint would be greatly appreciated.

*Edit* I made a mistake, it's
    ∫√(((x)^4)/2 + 9) dx I accidentally put it to the 2nd power instead to the 4th...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Trig substitution is the way to go.

Note that x2/2 = (x/√2)2.
    Draw a right triangle with vertical leg labeled x/√2 and horizonatal leg labeled 3. Work out a relationship between the angle θ and x.

BTW, integration problems should not be posted in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    I made a mistake on the equation to be integrated. It's to the power of 4, not 2. Does it still apply?

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

x4/2 = (x2/√2)2

Same advice as before, except label one leg (the opposite would be my choice) as x2/√2 instead of x/√2.

6. Sep 17, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's sqrt(x^4/2+9) trig substitutions won't get you anywhere. You'd need special functions to do it.

7. Sep 17, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Absolutely.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook