1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate (((x)^2)/2 + 9)

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫√(((x)^2)/2 + 9) dx

2. Relevant equations

---

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having a horrible time trying to do it. Problem is, I don't know how to start. The only thing I can think of is using trigonometric substitution. But I don't know how to manipulate the function in order to make it fit. A hint would be greatly appreciated.

*Edit* I made a mistake, it's
    ∫√(((x)^4)/2 + 9) dx I accidentally put it to the 2nd power instead to the 4th...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Trig substitution is the way to go.

Note that x2/2 = (x/√2)2.
    Draw a right triangle with vertical leg labeled x/√2 and horizonatal leg labeled 3. Work out a relationship between the angle θ and x.

BTW, integration problems should not be posted in the Precalc section. I am moving this thread to the Calculus & Beyond section.

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    I made a mistake on the equation to be integrated. It's to the power of 4, not 2. Does it still apply?

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

x4/2 = (x2/√2)2

Same advice as before, except label one leg (the opposite would be my choice) as x2/√2 instead of x/√2.

6. Sep 17, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it's sqrt(x^4/2+9) trig substitutions won't get you anywhere. You'd need special functions to do it.

7. Sep 17, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Absolutely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook