Integrated Engineering at UBC?

• Thread starter Cathmore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us.In summary, the forum user is considering engineering programs at UBC and is particularly interested in the Integrated Engineering and Mechatronics programs. While the former offers versatility, the latter provides a more focused education. Ultimately, the best program will depend on the user's interests and goals.
Cathmore
So even though I'm a couple years from choosing my engineering program, (I'm going to be doing a year of science in the 2012/2013 year, and then there's the first year of engineering that schools in BC have, which is the same no matter the program you go into in the second year) I'm still trying to decide early, I don't want to come up to the application not even knowing what I'm signing up for.

I've been looking over their programs a lot, and Integrated Engineering caught my eye, but to be honest it seems to have the least information on UBC's website. I get that it gives you a broad understanding of the different engineering disciplines, but would it be hard to find a job when you're so unspecialized?

Besides that it seems like you'd be limited in your technical electives since you wouldn't have as much knowledge in the subjects as someone who is majoring in that field. Meaning you might not meet prerequisites for the courses you want to take.

Despite all that, versatility has always been really important to me, and narrowing down my studies to a single field seems constraining, so the potentials of the program entice me.

I'm thinking Mechatronics might be a better choice, as it does give you quite a bit of versatility, but it's more established and while being versatile actually has a focus.

If you're not familiar with the program: http://www.igen.ubc.ca/prospective_students/program/index.php [Broken]

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I completely understand your desire to choose your engineering program early and make an informed decision. It's great that you are already thinking about your future and considering the different options available to you.

I am not familiar with the specific programs at UBC, but I can offer some general advice. First of all, it's important to remember that no matter which engineering program you choose, you will receive a strong foundation in math, science, and problem-solving skills. This will be valuable in any engineering field you decide to pursue.

Regarding the Integrated Engineering program, it is true that being unspecialized may make it more challenging to find a job in a specific field. However, the program still provides you with a broad understanding of engineering disciplines, which can be advantageous in certain industries. Additionally, many employers value versatility and the ability to adapt to different situations.

As for the limited technical electives, this may be a consideration but it's important to remember that you can always take additional courses or pursue further education in a specific field if you find yourself interested in a certain area.

Mechatronics does seem like a more specialized and established program, which may be a good fit for those who have a clear interest in that field. However, keep in mind that even within mechatronics, there are different sub-disciplines and job opportunities may vary.

Ultimately, the best program for you will depend on your interests, skills, and goals. I would recommend researching and talking to current students or alumni from both programs to get a better understanding of their experiences and job opportunities.

I wish you all the best in your decision-making process and your future studies in engineering. Remember, no matter which program you choose, your versatility and problem-solving skills as an engineer will be valuable assets in any field.

1. What is Integrated Engineering at UBC?

Integrated Engineering at UBC is a unique undergraduate program that combines elements of traditional engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical, and civil engineering, with a focus on interdisciplinary and systems thinking. It is designed to provide students with a broad and well-rounded education in engineering, equipping them with the skills to tackle complex and multifaceted real-world problems.

2. What are the admission requirements for Integrated Engineering at UBC?

To be considered for admission to the Integrated Engineering program at UBC, students must meet the general admission requirements for the university, as well as the program-specific prerequisites, which include high school courses in physics, chemistry, and calculus. Admission is highly competitive and based on academic performance, personal profile, and extracurricular activities.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of Integrated Engineering at UBC?

Graduates of Integrated Engineering at UBC are well-equipped for a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including manufacturing, energy, transportation, and technology. They may work as design engineers, project managers, consultants, or in research and development roles. The interdisciplinary nature of the program also prepares graduates for leadership positions and the ability to adapt to new and emerging fields.

4. Can students specialize in a specific engineering discipline within the Integrated Engineering program?

Yes, students can choose to specialize in one of four areas within the Integrated Engineering program at UBC: Biomedical Engineering, Clean Energy Engineering, Mechatronics, or Integrated Engineering Design. These specializations allow students to focus on a particular area of interest while still gaining a broad understanding of other engineering disciplines.

5. What opportunities are available for hands-on learning in the Integrated Engineering program at UBC?

The Integrated Engineering program at UBC offers numerous hands-on learning opportunities, including design projects, laboratory work, and co-op placements. Students also have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, such as the Integrated Engineering Design Studio, the Walter Gage Maker Space, and the Design and Innovation Centre. These experiences allow students to apply their theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and gain practical skills that are highly valued by employers.