Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrated Heat Pumps

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    Hello, have you heard of integrated heat pumps?

What is the essence of such an "integrated" heat pump? I mean how does it save energy? And what does the term "integrated" mean?

Please kindly help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2006 #2
    I do not know what you mean by 'integrated heat pump,' sorry. I am not too sure what would be integrated into a heat pump. A heat engine would be different though, but that's not what your asking.
  4. May 12, 2006 #3
    If you mean a package heat pump, then I can tell you this. It is just a simple AC split system which has the evaporator as indoor unit w/ fan to blow air, and the condenser w/ compressor as outdoor unit to do the heat exchange of refrigerant. As the heat pump, it can do both cooling and heating in single unit by reverse the refrigerant cycle using an expansion valve.

Hope this help.
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  5. May 12, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

Good explanation, with one minor nitpick (probably just a typo):
    Reversing valve, not expansion valve. The expansion valve performs the exact same function whether in heating cooling mode (expanding and cooling the refrigerant), but the reversing valve is what makes sure he hot and cold coils get switched.

Welcome aboard.
  6. May 21, 2006 #5
    perhaps you are talking About a Geo thermal pump that also uses air to cool the refrigerant,
  7. May 21, 2006 #6

Staff: Mentor

Regardless of the source of heat (air or water, typically), the cycle is the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?