Solving Integrated Rate Law Problem: Time Elapsed 5e-3 s

• Thread starter Ukitake Jyuushirou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Rate
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a zero order reaction with a rate constant of 5e-2 mol/L and an initial concentration of 1e-3 M after a time elapsed of 5e-3 seconds. The person asking the question calculated a concentration of 7.5e-4 but the answer in the back of the book claims it is 2.5e-4. It is determined that the units of the rate constant are incorrect and should be mole L-1 sec-1. The person asking the question is advised to check their calculations. They later figure out the correct answer.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
this seems a fairly straight forward qn but the ans at the back of the book does not agree with my ans :(

we have a rate constant 5e-2 mol/L

inital concentration of 1e-3 M

calculate concentration after the time elapsed is 5e-3 s

my ans is 7.5e-4 but the ans at the back claims it is 2.5e-4

formula i using is the integrated rate law [A] = -kt + [A initial]

did i miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The units of your rate constant aren't correct. It should be mole L-1 sec-1.
Since it's a zero order reaction, your rate law is correct. Check your calculations.

siddharth said:
The units of your rate constant aren't correct. It should be mole L-1 sec-1.
Since it's a zero order reaction, your rate law is correct. Check your calculations.
yea, thanks i manage to fig this one out :D

1. What is an integrated rate law problem?

An integrated rate law problem involves using mathematical equations to determine the rate of change of a reaction over time. This can be used to calculate the concentration of reactants or products at a specific time, or to determine the rate constant of a reaction.

2. How do I solve an integrated rate law problem?

To solve an integrated rate law problem, you first need to determine the order of the reaction (zero, first, or second) by looking at the units of the rate constant. Then, you can use the corresponding integrated rate law equation and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variable (concentration, rate constant, or time elapsed).

3. What is the significance of the time elapsed in an integrated rate law problem?

The time elapsed in an integrated rate law problem is the amount of time that has passed since the reaction started. This value is important because it is used in the integrated rate law equations to calculate the concentration of reactants or products at a specific time.

4. How do I determine the units for the rate constant in an integrated rate law problem?

The units for the rate constant will depend on the order of the reaction. For a zero-order reaction, the units are M/s. For a first-order reaction, the units are 1/s. And for a second-order reaction, the units are 1/Ms.

5. Can I use any integrated rate law equation for any type of reaction?

No, the integrated rate law equations are specific to the order of the reaction. For example, the integrated rate law for a first-order reaction cannot be used for a second-order reaction. It is important to determine the order of the reaction before using the corresponding integrated rate law equation.