Is there a way to determine if an integral exists for a non-elementary function?

• Thread starter zeroseven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
So for this function, the fact that Mathematica cannot integrate it, doesn't mean that no solution exists.In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of two different functions and whether they exist in closed form. They also touch on the use of computer algorithms and mathematical proofs in determining the existence of these integrals. It is noted that while mathematica may not be able to find a solution, it does not necessarily prove that a solution does not exist. The use of algorithms like the Risch algorithm and Liouville's theorem are mentioned in further exploring the existence of integrals.
zeroseven
I've been trying to figure out how to integrate 1/(x+ln(x)) but am not getting anywhere. Mathematica can't do it, and I haven't found it in lists of integrals.

Does anyone know if this integral exists in closed form?

Same goes for (x+ln(x))/(1+x+ln(x))

Thanks!
zeroseven

Physics news on Phys.org
If mathematica can't do it, then it means there is no solution in terms of standard integrals. This is because the algorithm employed by mathematica is a very good one. If a solution exist, then the algorithm finds it. And if the algorithm fails, then that implies that a solution doesn't exist. So it goes both ways.

Thanks, that's helpful and very interesting.

I have no idea how I would even begin to go about proving that a solution doesn't exist for an integral! Is this something that can only be done by computer algorithms?

zeroseven said:
Thanks, that's helpful and very interesting.

I have no idea how I would even begin to go about proving that a solution doesn't exist for an integral! Is this something that can only be done by computer algorithms?

No, it can be done by hand too.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(differential_algebra) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

A good book on the topic is Geddes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0792392590/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (despite its name, it's a math book and not a programming book)

Thanks again, I always wondered how we could be sure that the integral of exp(-x^2) doesn't exist!

So does this mean that when Mathematica works on an integral, it's actually running a rigorous mathematical proof on whether that integral exists or not? Does it use the Risch algorithm that you just linked to?

This leads me to a follow-up question.. if these algorithms work for elementary functions, does it extend to non-elementary functions? For example, if I ask Mathematica to
Integrate[1/(x + ProductLog[x]), x]
and it can't do it, does this prove that an integral doesn't exist in terms of the function ProductLog?

zeroseven said:
Thanks again, I always wondered how we could be sure that the integral of exp(-x^2) doesn't exist!

So does this mean that when Mathematica works on an integral, it's actually running a rigorous mathematical proof on whether that integral exists or not? Does it use the Risch algorithm that you just linked to?

It uses an implementation of the Rish algorithm, yes. So if mathematica can't calculate an integral, then it actually proves that it can't be calculated. Of course, the proof is never shown, because it's not very interesting. But in principle, mathematica could be used to prove that integrals can't be calculated.

But be aware that the practical situation is a bit more complicated. The wiki on Rish algorithm already shows you that there is a certain dependence on initial conditions. Also, the Rish assumes that polynomials can be factored exactly, this might not be true in practice.

This leads me to a follow-up question.. if these algorithms work for elementary functions, does it extend to non-elementary functions? For example, if I ask Mathematica to
and it can't do it, does this prove that an integral doesn't exist in terms of the function ProductLog?

I don't know about what the Rish algorithm does with these. But Liousville's theorem seems to be able answer questions like those. I don't know about mathematica's implementation to say with confidence whether it proves the non-existence of this integral. It is however something you can certainly do in theory (by hand).

Thanks again micromass.
That solves my problem (or actually shows that it is unsolvable), and makes me appreciate Mathematica a bit more!

Cheers,
zeroseven

zeroseven said:

Not in general. For example applying Richardson's theorem we see that "elementary functions + absolute value function" has no equivalent to Risch.

1. What is the purpose of integrating 1/(x+ln(x))?

The purpose of integrating 1/(x+ln(x)) is to find the antiderivative of the given function. This allows us to evaluate the function at specific values and find the area under the curve.

2. Is there a specific method for integrating 1/(x+ln(x))?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to integrate 1/(x+ln(x)), such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The most appropriate method may depend on the specific form of the function.

3. What are the limits of integration for 1/(x+ln(x))?

The limits of integration for 1/(x+ln(x)) will depend on the specific problem or context in which the function is being integrated. They can be defined as specific values, or as variables of integration.

4. Can the integral of 1/(x+ln(x)) be evaluated analytically?

Yes, under certain conditions, the integral of 1/(x+ln(x)) can be evaluated analytically. However, there are some cases where the integral may need to be approximated numerically using numerical integration methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrating 1/(x+ln(x))?

Integrating 1/(x+ln(x)) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the average value of a function, or the position of an object with changing velocity. It can also be used in modeling population growth or studying fluid flow in pipes.