1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating 2

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Spherical coordinates, find the volume of the solid enclosed by the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4a^2[/tex] and the planes z = 0 and z = a.

2. Relevant equations
    I have the solutions to this problem, and it is done by integrating two parts:
    [tex]V = V_{R=const.} + V_{z = const.}[/tex]

The limits for [tex]V = V_{R=const.}[/tex] are
    [tex][0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi], [\frac{\pi}{2} - sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2}) \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}], [0 \leq R \leq 2 \pi][/tex]

The limits for [tex]V_{z = const.}[/tex] are
    [tex][0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2} - sin^{-1}(\frac{1}{2})], [0 \leq R \leq \frac{a}{cos(\theta)}], 0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi] [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Could someone explain to things to me:
    1. Why there are two things we are integrating: [tex]V = V_{R=const.} + V_{z = const.}[/tex] I would think there should be only one integral, one that is bounded between z = 0, and z = a within the given sphere.
    2. Why the limits are defined as it is- more specifically, the limits for [tex]\theta[/tex] for [tex]V = V_{R=const.}[/tex], and [tex]\theta, R[/tex] for [tex] V_{z = const.}[/tex]

Thanks so much,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

sphere_cone.jpg

In above plot, green surface is V_R=const. and, imagining the blue cone surface filled to the brim would be the Vz=const. Two integrals are needed because why? What is the equation of the blue surface in spherical coords?

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3
    Oh, ok thanks- I think I understand this problem now. By the way, that's a really cool picture.

JL

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook