1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating 2x/(3x+1)

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify, by division, that 2x/(3x+1) = 2/3 - 2/3(3x+1)

Hence, evaluate ∫2x/(3x+1) dx

I don't understand what to, does the question mean to do long division?

Help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's easier to start from the right hand side: take 2/3 - 2/3(3x + 1) and combine the fractions into one. After simplification, you should get 2x/(3x + 1).

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

[tex]\frac{2x}{3x+1}=\frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{3x}{3x+1}=\frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{3x+1-1}{3x+1}=\ldots[/tex]

5. Oct 12, 2013 #4
    Oh thanks, vanhees. But is that still division?

6. Oct 12, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Division" means re-writing the expression so that in the remainder the numerator has a smaller degree than the denominator. So, if we have f(x) = p(x)/q(x), it is already in "divided" form if deg(p) < deg(q); otherwise (if deg(p) ≥ deg(q)), manipulate the expression to get f(x) = m(x) + r(x)/q(x), with deg(r) < deg(q). (Of course, I mean that p,q,m,r are all polynomials in x.) In your example, deg(p) = 1 = deg(q), so you need to re-write the expression until the remainder has numerator of degree 0 (that is, has the form c/(3x+1) for constant c).

7. Oct 12, 2013 #6
    Thank you Ray.

8. Oct 12, 2013 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Or, by polynomial long division

2x:(3x+1)->2/3
    2x+2/3
    0-2/3

Implies:
    2x/(3x+1)=2/3-2/3*(1/(3x+1))

9. Oct 13, 2013 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

[tex]\frac{2x}{3x+1}=\frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{3x}{3x+1}=\frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{3x+1-1}{3x+1}=\frac{2}{3} \left (1-\frac{1}{3x+1} \right).[/tex]
    Written in this form, the integral is very easy. I don't know, how you call these simple manipulations.

10. Oct 13, 2013 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is impossible to tell which message you are responding to, since you did not use the "Quote" button. Anyway, these manipulations are called simple because they are simple. (However, as far as I can tell, nobody called them simple before you did, so I don't understand your statement!)

11. Oct 14, 2013 #10

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Come on, it is really simple to integrate now!

12. Oct 14, 2013 #11

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Euh, guys... am I the only one who is getting confused here, or are you all replying to the wrong messages. The OT seems to have gotten the hint back in post #6; none of the other posters is the topic starter and knows perfectly well how to solve the exercise, so what is the discussion about?

13. Oct 14, 2013 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I merely offered an alternative solution procedure! :smile:

14. Oct 14, 2013 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's typical in homework problems. We have a tendency to drag the discussion off topic. The OP hasn't come back since post #6, so presumably the problem has been solved.

That said, I suspect arildno's post #7 is exactly what the instructor intended with the phrase "verify, by division."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted