Integrating Fraction Fractions: Solving \int\frac{x^{2}+2x+1}{x^{2}+1}

In summary, a fraction is a numerical quantity that represents part of a whole, written as one number over another number. To integrate a fraction, the numerator and denominator must be integrated separately and then divided. Integrating a fraction is useful in many mathematical calculations, such as finding the area under a curve and solving differential equations. Common methods for integrating a fraction include the power rule, substitution, and partial fractions. It is possible to integrate a fraction with variables in the denominator using the method of partial fractions.
Cmertin

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{x^{2}+2x+1}{x^{2}+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

INTEGRAL OF X[tex]=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]
I can't get the integral to work on the left side for some reason.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have completely forgotten how to integrate fractions. I know that "log(x^2+1)+C" would be included in it though I'm not to sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{x^{2}+2x+1}{x^{2}+1} = \frac{x^2 + 1}{x^2 + 1} + \frac{2x}{x^2+1}[/tex]

snipez90 said:
[tex]\frac{x^{2}+2x+1}{x^{2}+1} = \frac{x^2 + 1}{x^2 + 1} + \frac{2x}{x^2+1}[/tex]

I got it, thanks.

Last edited:

What is a fraction?

A fraction is a numerical quantity that represents part of a whole. It is written as one number (the numerator) over another number (the denominator), separated by a line. For example, 1/2, 3/4, and 2/5 are all fractions.

How do you integrate a fraction?

To integrate a fraction, you need to first find the integral of the numerator and the integral of the denominator separately. Then, divide the integral of the numerator by the integral of the denominator. This will give you the integrated fraction.

What is the purpose of integrating a fraction?

Integrating a fraction is useful in many mathematical calculations, especially in calculus. It allows us to find the area under a curve, calculate the average value of a function, and solve differential equations.

What are some common methods for integrating a fraction?

Some common methods for integrating a fraction include using the power rule, substitution, and partial fractions. These methods may vary depending on the complexity of the fraction and the type of integral being performed.

Can you integrate a fraction that has variables in the denominator?

Yes, it is possible to integrate a fraction that has variables in the denominator. This can be done using the method of partial fractions, where the fraction is broken down into smaller fractions with simpler denominators, making it easier to integrate.