1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a tan function

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Hello.

I was trying to solve Lagrangian equation and I manage to reduce second order differential equation that I got:

[itex]\ddot{\varphi}[/itex]+[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\frac{tan\varphi}{cos^{2}\varphi}[/itex]=0;

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a constant,

to first order differential equation:

[itex]\dot{\varphi}^{2}[/itex]+ [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]tan^{2}\varphi[/itex] -C=0;

where C is integration constant and from starting conditions I calculated it to be:
    C= 8[itex]\alpha[/itex].

Now all I have left is this integral to solve:

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{d\varphi}{\sqrt{8-tan^{2}\varphi}}[/itex]

But I can't find the right substitution.

I did try using some trigonometric identities to make this integral easier to solve or familiar but I didn't manage to get anywhere with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

The integral you want to calculate is [itex]\int\frac{d\phi}{\sqrt{1-tan^2(\phi)}}[/itex] (obviously your integral we can factor out the 8 by suitable change of variables.

so use the fact that 1-tan^2(phi)= (cos^2()-sin^2())/cos^2()=cos(2phi)/cos^2()
    after taking the sqrt and reciprocal you get:
    cos(phi)dphi/sqrt(cos(2 phi)) = sqrt((cos(2 phi)+1)/(2cos(2 phi))) dphi
    Now put cos(2 phi) = t to get an integral of the form (without the right factors obviously :-)):

-sqrt((t+1)/t) sqrt(1/(1-t^2) dt = sqrt(1/(t(1-t)) dt = sqrt(1/(-(t-1/2)^2+1/4)) dt

and that's look like a nice integral of the form:
    ds/sqrt(1-s^2)

which its integral is?

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your answer.
    You explained it very nicely.
    And the solution for that integral is arcussin(s).

But...
    I tried substituting [itex]\frac{tan\varphi}{\sqrt{8}}[/itex]=tan[itex]\theta[/itex] but I didn't get desired result because I got this:
    d[itex]\varphi[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{8}}{1-4cos^{2}\theta}[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]

But I may have made the mistake somewhere (and I made many stupid mistakes today).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook